Can I Get Financing by Getting a Loan That Pays Off a Second-Position Loan?

Can I Get Financing by Getting a Loan That Pays Off a Second-Position Loan?

Member since 2024 · 30 posts · 15 votes

I have a cash-flowing property with roughly 50% equity, and a 100k HELOC in 2nd position. Can I get a new loan that encompasses the remaining balance, equity, and the HELOC, and gives me the remainder in liquid cash?

Use case: home is worth $580k-630k, with $295k balance on loan, and $100k owed on HELOC ($395k total debt). I would like to finance $600k-$700k total, to pay off all of the above, plus finance a BRRRR/HH purchase for less than $300k. Is this possible?

1Reply
15 views

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Jason WrayPro Member
    Banker · Nationwide · Member since 2020 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    2y

    Adam,

    Yes, I would suggest you refinance to pay off the heloc and take out some cash through a cash out refinance. Even if you use the $580K and go 75% LTV it pays off your $295k + $100K and there is cash left over.

  • Devin PetersonBusiness Member
    Lender · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2022 · 2k+ posts · 664 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Adam Davis:

    I have a cash-flowing property with roughly 50% equity, and a 100k HELOC in 2nd position. Can I get a new loan that encompasses the remaining balance, equity, and the HELOC, and gives me the remainder in liquid cash?

    Use case: home is worth $580k-630k, with $295k balance on loan, and $100k owed on HELOC ($395k total debt). I would like to finance $600k-$700k total, to pay off all of the above, plus finance a BRRRR/HH purchase for less than $300k. Is this possible?


    Hi Adam, Yes this is possible as an investment cash out refinance. You will find lenders out there who have different max leverage requirements 75-80% lt cash out depending on DSCR, seasoning, FICO, etc.

  • Lender · Richmond VA · Member since 2012 · 305 posts · 30 votes
    2y

    @Adam Davis This is certainly possible. DSCR option may be a good option. Happy to take a look.

  • Real Estate Broker · Deer Park · Member since 2018 · 48 posts · 5 votes
    2y

    It sounds like a refinance would be a good option for you, but I'd just make sure with our current interest rate options out there that the monthly payment on that new loan would makes sense. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.