Is it worth paying a premium for favorable terms?

Is it worth paying a premium for favorable terms?

Member since 2023 · 3 posts · 0 votes

Hello friends,

I found a seller financed listing where the seller is asking for a significant premium on multiple homes, but they are open to low interest rates and 40 year terms. These homes have long term tenants and will cash flow albeit slightly under $100 per unit if I don't raise rents. My calculations are based on 2 sets of numbers - the numbers the seller has provided, and my own calculations accounting for 5% for vacancy, 5% for repair, 5% for capex, 10% for property management and actual costs for property tax/insurance.

I am trying to decide if this deal is worth pursuing or if I should walk away due to the premium on the homes. I don't love the idea of essentially being locked into holding them for a long time because it may take many years for them to appreciate enough to meet that premium, but I do like the idea of cash flow, low interest, and longer terms. I do intend on holding them for a long time, but again this limits my flexibility in the short-to-medium term.

Does anyone have any thoughts/suggestions for me? This is my first deal of this kind and I want to make sure I am considering everything.

Thanks in advance!

0Reply
38 views

Most Popular Reply

Drew SygitBusiness Member
Property Manager · Royal Oak, MI · Member since 2012 · 12k+ posts · 9k+ votes
1y

@Luke Rusten have personally used a higher price to get sellers to accept my seller financing proposals many times in the past!

If you want to figure out the value logically, you can create a spreadsheet that will show your cost of financing and principle paydown on an annual basis to figure out the break-even date between the seller-financing price vs paying market price, but with bank financing.

You mentioned a 40-year term, but is there a balloon?

What about prepayment penalties?

See this reply in the discussion

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Lender · Nashville, TN · Member since 2024 · 700 posts · 284 votes
    1y

    I wouldn't be overpaying for something with good seller financing.

    Rates are coming down in the next 24 months, you can just buy something else with the intention to refi down.

  • Member since 2023 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    1y
    Quote from @Brandon Croucier:

    I wouldn't be overpaying for something with good seller financing.

    Rates are coming down in the next 24 months, you can just buy something else with the intention to refi down.


     Thank you for the input. Would you consider it if the rates were as low as 2%? That is where I am getting hung up. At that percentage I end up paying significantly less in interest over the length of the loan, but where I get into issues is if I ever want to/need to sell any of the properties before they can appreciate in value to be worth the list price. Sorry, I should have provided that detail in the original post. 

  • Lender · Nashville, TN · Member since 2024 · 700 posts · 284 votes
    1y
    Quote from @Luke Rusten:
    Quote from @Brandon Croucier:

    I wouldn't be overpaying for something with good seller financing.

    Rates are coming down in the next 24 months, you can just buy something else with the intention to refi down.


     Thank you for the input. Would you consider it if the rates were as low as 2%? That is where I am getting hung up. At that percentage I end up paying significantly less in interest over the length of the loan, but where I get into issues is if I ever want to/need to sell any of the properties before they can appreciate in value to be worth the list price. Sorry, I should have provided that detail in the original post. 


     I mean how much are you overpaying for that rate.

    Whats the actual value, what would be the purchase price?

    What are the rents?

  • Drew SygitBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Royal Oak, MI · Member since 2012 · 12k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    1y

    @Luke Rusten have personally used a higher price to get sellers to accept my seller financing proposals many times in the past!

    If you want to figure out the value logically, you can create a spreadsheet that will show your cost of financing and principle paydown on an annual basis to figure out the break-even date between the seller-financing price vs paying market price, but with bank financing.

    You mentioned a 40-year term, but is there a balloon?

    What about prepayment penalties?

  • Member since 2023 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    1y
    Quote from @Brandon Croucier:
    Quote from @Luke Rusten:
    Quote from @Brandon Croucier:

    I wouldn't be overpaying for something with good seller financing.

    Rates are coming down in the next 24 months, you can just buy something else with the intention to refi down.


     Thank you for the input. Would you consider it if the rates were as low as 2%? That is where I am getting hung up. At that percentage I end up paying significantly less in interest over the length of the loan, but where I get into issues is if I ever want to/need to sell any of the properties before they can appreciate in value to be worth the list price. Sorry, I should have provided that detail in the original post. 


     I mean how much are you overpaying for that rate.

    Whats the actual value, what would be the purchase price?

    What are the rents?


    Thank you for your replies - much appreciated. To be clear I am not really looking for someone to analyze the deal for me, but more-so looking to see if I should be thinking about anything in particular that I haven't been.


    Since you asked - I believe I'd be paying approximately 20% +/- above market value. The rents are on the lower side, but I am also not looking to raise them significantly as the best thing about these properties IMO are the very long-term tenants.

    When I do the math, I'd have a lower monthly payment and pay less interest over time even at that premium price versus a lower price and lower rates in the next year or so, but I likely wouldn't be able to sell any of the properties at that value for quite a while.

    Is there anything I should be thinking about that I am not? Is this a deal most investors would walk away from regardless of the rates/terms because of the premium? 

  • Lender · Nashville, TN · Member since 2024 · 700 posts · 284 votes
    1y

    I wouldn’t pay 20 points for a 2% rate.

  • Don KonipolBusiness Member
    Investor · The Woodlands TX / Avon, CT · Member since 2009 · 6k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    1y
    Quote from @Luke Rusten:
    Quote from @Brandon Croucier:
    Quote from @Luke Rusten:
    Quote from @Brandon Croucier:

    I wouldn't be overpaying for something with good seller financing.

    Rates are coming down in the next 24 months, you can just buy something else with the intention to refi down.


     Thank you for the input. Would you consider it if the rates were as low as 2%? That is where I am getting hung up. At that percentage I end up paying significantly less in interest over the length of the loan, but where I get into issues is if I ever want to/need to sell any of the properties before they can appreciate in value to be worth the list price. Sorry, I should have provided that detail in the original post. 


     I mean how much are you overpaying for that rate.

    Whats the actual value, what would be the purchase price?

    What are the rents?


    Thank you for your replies - much appreciated. To be clear I am not really looking for someone to analyze the deal for me, but more-so looking to see if I should be thinking about anything in particular that I haven't been.


    Since you asked - I believe I'd be paying approximately 20% +/- above market value. The rents are on the lower side, but I am also not looking to raise them significantly as the best thing about these properties IMO are the very long-term tenants.

    When I do the math, I'd have a lower monthly payment and pay less interest over time even at that premium price versus a lower price and lower rates in the next year or so, but I likely wouldn't be able to sell any of the properties at that value for quite a while.

    Is there anything I should be thinking about that I am not? Is this a deal most investors would walk away from regardless of the rates/terms because of the premium? 

    The only way it can possibly be beneficial to pay 20% over market for an interest rate 3% below market is if the loan is long term, AND FULLY ASSUMABLE WITH NO QUALIFYING.  Then you should be able to sell for above market - unless rates fall thereby potentially wiping out the 20% even with assumability.   

    Paying above market to gain other benefits is sometimes a difficult pill to swallow, but for the unbiased investor looking for the best” ROI the risks and rewards must be analyzed rationally. 
    Private Mortgage Financing Partners, LLC
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.