Lowest down payment for primary residence in a 2-unit home (house hacking strategy)

Lowest down payment for primary residence in a 2-unit home (house hacking strategy)

Member since 2025 · 5 posts · 2 votes

I am looking to buy a 2 or 3-unit home in NYC. I plan on renting a unit and probably getting a roommate or two in my unit to maximize cash flow early on. So far, the best deal I have been able to find is 5% down with no PMI (80% from Fannie and another 15% from a second lender). The price range for the home would be $1M - $1.8M.

Is there any way I could qualify for 3.5% down instead?

I realize these are already very good terms, but I thought I'd check what is possible. Based on my calculations, even with a low down payment, I can achieve positive cash flow (with aggressive enough house hacking).

1Reply
17 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Fishers, IN · Member since 2018 · 27 posts · 16 votes
    1y

    3.5% down is offered through a FHA lender. Call around and see if you and the property will qualify. FHA loans follow very strict guidelines when it comes to property condition.

  • Member since 2025 · 5 posts · 2 votes
    1y

    Thank you! In that case, I would have PMI until I refinanced, right?

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.