Using equity from primary residence to put down payment on multi-family investment

Using equity from primary residence to put down payment on multi-family investment

Rental Property Investor · Billerica, MA · Member since 2015 · 75 posts · 10 votes

My broker mentioned seeing I have cash to put down on an investment property, rather than using the cash, use the line of credit on the equity and put the savings in a "safe" investment fund or somewhere that I could liquidate and pay down line of credit if rates start to jump, etc. 

Is this something recommended?  Anyone have any thoughts on why/why not this would be a good or bad idea (besides the obvious "don't spend the cash").

Johnny

0Reply
15 views

1 Reply

Jump to latestLatest
  • Buffalo, NY · Member since 2014 · 371 posts · 146 votes
    11y

    I think it is a great idea. I've done it, and it works out well. If you have solid W-2, income you can actually spend the cash AND use the equity (ie. buy 2 investments!) It is a little riskier, but it depends on your interest rate outlook. With solid W-2 income, you can gradually pay off the HELOC as rates gradually go up. Good luck!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.