Q on Deal structure for House + Land Flip... What Next?

Q on Deal structure for House + Land Flip... What Next?

Investor · South Portland, ME · Member since 2014 · 21 posts · 25 votes

I'm in negotiation for my first true investment purchase (currently am house-hacking), and I'm wondering if anyone has done a deal like I'm trying to put together, and if so, what advice you might have. Below is full explanation, but in one sentence: 

I am aiming to put a house that conveys with extra parcels of land under contract, sell off part of that land prior to close, and get a great deal on a house. Question is what to do after that and how best to do it.

Here's the full story:

The property that will convey comprises three adjacent parcels of land, one of which has a house on it. 

Parcel 1: 4BR, 1.5BA, 1600 sq. ft. house on .11 acres. Appraised at $190K by town appraiser. Needs total gut renovation.

Parcel 2:  Vacant lot. .11 acres, nonconforming lot (due to shortage of road frontage) -borders other parcels on its two long edges. Appraised at $7,000 by town.

Parcel 3: Vacant lot. .11 acres, nonconforming lot, appraised at $51,000 by town. (short on road frontage by only 1 ft.)

All on separate deeds, but all three will convey with purchase of one property. 

I have received info from the town code enforcement director that I could split the middle lot - Parcel 2 - down the center - and then sell one of the two remaining lots as a buildable lot. (I do know I will need a surveyor...etc. to do this) I plan to keep Parcel 1 with the house on it. These three plots then will become just two plots - each getting a portion of parcel 2 added to their total acreage.

I have someone who wants to buy the vacant lot parcel, and has the resources to be able to sign a P&S and buy the parcel as part of a simultaneous close.

I have a hard money lender who is willing to offer a bridge loan at 3 points paid at close, and ~12% interest. This hard money lender also owns a mortgage brokerage, and is willing to get things set up so we can do a re-fi immediately after we close. 

I plan to put vacant lot under contract with the land buyer while I am under contract on house purchase (ie. 'sell' the land before I buy it). Numbers should look something like, $190K purchase price for property with all three parcels (all hard money), selling of parcel 3, plus a portion of parcel 2, for $100K, simultaneous close so I walk away from closing table with Parcel 1 including house plus a portion of Parcel 2. My land buyer walks away with Parcel 3 + the other portion of Parcel 2. This means I'll end up with a house that needs a gut renovation for about $90K, and should appraise at around $200K. 

I have discussed a 10 day contigency period on a 30 day close contract during which time I will work with my lawyer, local code officer, and my buyer of the property to get things squared away and have a legally binding P&S signed by my land buyer. My contract will say 'my name OR assignees'.

Assuming approx. -$15,000 in loan/ closing/ legal/ survey holding costs, as I see it, my options after the initial close are as follows:

Cash-out refi, rehab house (I estimate about $50K for the needed full gut reno to get to neighborhood standard), and either shoot to sell it for about $220K, or 'quick sale' price of $200K. (Est. profit $35K-$55K, time = 4 months) 

OR 

same as above (renovation) + hold the property and rent for ~$1400/ mo. (Est. net cash flow of $300/mo.)

OR

Quickly sell the property with house that needs full gut renovation for ~$125K to local rehabbers. (Est. profit $20K, timeline = 2 months)

OR 

During the contract period, I get the parcel of land P&S signed for $100K, then wholesale the house property (w/ small additional parcel) for a small profit. (Est. profit $5-10K, timeline = 1 month)

So - am I crazy to try to tackle this deal? Has anyone else done something like this? Do you have any advice on how I can minimize my costs or maximize profits? 

Thanks in advance for any feedback or advice! 

0Reply
23 views

1 Reply

Jump to latestLatest
  • Lender · Greater LA/Orange County area, CA · Member since 2012 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    10y

    You have created way too many choices for yourself. There are others, too.

    Pick two and make a binary decision.

    Pick the two that best exemplifies your historical level of skills and tolerance for risk. 

    If you make an error, you'll be able to survive it. If you make money but could have made more, you'll have greater confidence for the next deal.

    As an investor, life is about making deals. This will certainly not be your last unless you paint yourself into that position.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.