I've been laid off and have not been able to get financing

I've been laid off and have not been able to get financing

Account Manager · Cypress, TX · Member since 2015 · 23 posts · 2 votes

Dear all,

As per the subject, I live in Houston, TX., would like to start investing in RE (SF, MF, etc.), but I am having difficulty getting financing because of my of my current employment situation. I have cash available, a good IRA balance (I'm 62), 10.7 acre lot I put in the market ($50K equity minus closing costs), and the equity in my current home (cannot refinance due to the same employment situation).

I would think that there may be ways to get financing, but I cannot find them. Do you have any suggestions you could share? Any successful stories of similar situations?

I'll appreciate your kind feedback.

Thank you very much.

0Reply
9 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2015 · 233 posts · 188 votes
10y

You could look into seller financing. That would eleiminate the need for a bank as the seller would act as the bank. 

See this reply in the discussion

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Mckinney, TX · Member since 2016 · 26 posts · 8 votes
    10y
    Sorry to hear about your layoff. You should look into self directing your IRA. There's a very large company in Houston that deals in it. They offer free education on investing it in real estate and a lot of online education.
  • Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2015 · 233 posts · 188 votes
    10y

    You could look into seller financing. That would eleiminate the need for a bank as the seller would act as the bank. 

  • Realtor · Houston, TX · Member since 2015 · 56 posts · 14 votes
    10y
    You should also talk to private lender too?
  • Investor · Roanoke, VA · Member since 2012 · 1k+ posts · 374 votes
    10y

    What @Juan Vargas said

    Forget about the banks,they have enough money they don't need yours,get to work looking for seller finance deals 

    Good luck @Oscar Freiman

  • Wholesaler, Rehabber and Landlord · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    10y

    Hard money is one way to get a loan on an investment property that you are looking to flip. Also, you can talk with some people from your investment group who may want to partner with you. Let them put up the money and get a hard money loan or let them put up all the money. Either way, you guys split profits whatever percentage you can decide on. 

    Are you going to RICH in Houston or any of the several large groups that meet in the Houston area?? There are probably 4 or 5 hard money lenders at each meeting who can do a loan for you. Lots of networking, talking to other investors who have done a few deals.

  • Developer · Houston, TX · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    If you find a good deal, you'll be able to find someone to fund it. Either via private or hard money. Focus on finding that deal first. 

  • Account Manager · Cypress, TX · Member since 2015 · 23 posts · 2 votes
    10y

    Thank everyone for your responses. These are great ideas.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.