Chpt6 - Investing While Living in an Expensive Area

Chpt6 - Investing While Living in an Expensive Area

Floral Park, NY · Member since 2016 · 9 posts · 1 vote

Hi All !

I am a new investor living in Queens, NY and just finished reading through Chapter 6 which spoke directly to me. It's hard to find something affordable to invest in as the barrier to entry in NYC is quite large. Therefore, I am stuck looking in higher crime areas like Jamaica, Queens. I am not sure if that is a good idea, but I know that area is usually in demand for rents and the crime rate makes homes more affordable. My other choices are to buy a turnkey out of state (which I find very interesting but scary at the same time since I don't know many people out of state) or to just keep saving until me and my serious girlfriend are ready to settle down into a house hack.

What I would love to do is buy a one a family out of state for around 100K so that I can get started in real estate and also not have to put a huge down payment so that I still have the capital to do a house hack in the future. I am looking for any advice, referrals, and info on how to get started in buying out of state/building a team as I feel that it might be difficult to trust many people as well as secure rental payments from hundreds of miles away (even with a property management company).

Also, if I buy an investment property, would I still be able to qualify for an FHA loan for me and my girlfriend for our future house hack?

0Reply
11 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Dave VisayaPro Member
    Moderator
    Audio Engineer and Investor · Cebu City, Cebu · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 881 votes
    10y

    Hey @Jonathan Scialpi welcome to BiggerPockets. This is a perfect place for you to learn REI. :)

    BiggerPockets
  • Floral Park, NY · Member since 2016 · 9 posts · 1 vote
    10y

    Thanks @Dave 

    @Dave Visaya!

  • Matthew WeiserPro Member
    Investor · Flushing, NY · Member since 2013 · 175 posts · 29 votes
    10y

    Hi @Jonathan Scialpi welcome to BiggerPockets! You should be able to obtain an FHA loan even if you own an investment property. However, you probably will lose out on the various benefits of being a first time home buyer - something to consider.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.