Taking over loan payments in Philadelphia, PA

Taking over loan payments in Philadelphia, PA

Woodbridge, NJ · Member since 2015 · 42 posts · 2 votes

Hello,

I recently came across a motivated seller who would like to basically get rid of her property. She has a condo with 1Bed/1 Bath and could be rented for $1000/month. Her mortgage payment is around $470 and HOA fees are $270. All I need to put down is moving cost for her and fix up cost. All together I am in this deal for $5000. The condo is worth somewhere around $35,000 and she owes $48,000. Don't ask me about it, her financial situation is a mess.

My question is, I can net $200/month out of this deal with $5000 down. So, how can I do this? Is there a lawyer out there who can help me out with this? This is my first creative deal and I would like to do more of these in the future.

Any comments, suggestions will be appreciated. 

Thanks,

Harshil

0Reply
14 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2013 · 139 posts · 232 votes
9y

Good job being creative, but in my opinion, that deal is too skinny to make it worth your while. Especially since the title to the property isn't in your name and if she defaults on the agreement you don't have any equity to go after or likely any personal assets. The $200/month you are counting on will be eaten up by maintenance and management expenses even in the best case. Use your $5K to leverage into something you can BRRRR.

See this reply in the discussion

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2013 · 139 posts · 232 votes
    9y

    Good job being creative, but in my opinion, that deal is too skinny to make it worth your while. Especially since the title to the property isn't in your name and if she defaults on the agreement you don't have any equity to go after or likely any personal assets. The $200/month you are counting on will be eaten up by maintenance and management expenses even in the best case. Use your $5K to leverage into something you can BRRRR.

  • Woodbridge, NJ · Member since 2015 · 42 posts · 2 votes
    9y

    @Ethan Giller makes sense. I was really debating whether to get into this or not. Thank you for clarification, I appreciate it.

  • Investor · Forest City, NC · Member since 2016 · 20 posts · 7 votes
    9y

    Came across this post, and just have to chime in. 

    I believe there may be several entrance and exit strategies where you can turn a profit off this deal. Do similar condos in this development go for $38k? Where did you get the comp from?

  • Woodbridge, NJ · Member since 2015 · 42 posts · 2 votes
    9y
    Hi Doyle Brown Jr. , I am sorry for late reply, got super busy. I am interested in this property and would like to know what do you think?
  • Woodbridge, NJ · Member since 2015 · 42 posts · 2 votes
    9y
    Doyle Brown Jr. , I own two more condos in the same building.
  • Investor · Forest City, NC · Member since 2016 · 20 posts · 7 votes
    9y

    No problem. Brainstorming this thing out will help arrive at a sound financial decision. Whats the latest comp in the last 90days for a similar condo in your development

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.