Help!!! Hard money investor or local bank???

Help!!! Hard money investor or local bank???

Oak Lawn, IL · Member since 2016 · 53 posts · 12 votes

I'm a lawyer and my husband is a doctor. We have astronomical student loan debt from a top law and medical school. We have been searching for a hard money lender or a bank who warehouses their own loans because we don't qualify as conventional buyers for a multifamily. Our debt to income ratio wouldn't be touched by any bank that sells off mortgages in the secondary market. My credit score is well over 800 and I'm fairly liquid (easily can put down 25-30% on a multifamily).

We need to borrow from a hard money investor OR a small bank.

Option 1: Hard money investor

My mom has been in real estate for years, and she referred me to her old friend, who referred me to a commercial loan officer (my mom also knows) who has a private investor who will work with us. His interest rates are reasonable at 5-6% *likely 5.2%*, and he may also be able to qualify us for a 25 year fixed rate loan between 7-8%. We haven't gotten all the details on the exact product he'll put together for us. I'll find out tomorrow after the loan officer pulls my credit. I know that this lender can lend the hard money in 4-6 weeks. The investor sometimes does have a prepayment penalty of either 5,4,3,2,1 or 3,2,1. We can refinance after 6 months. He will consider ARV.

Here's the concern: The loan officer charges a flat fee of $3500. He requires a $500-1000 retainer (likely $500 because of his history with my mom) that I don't play on paying him until I put in an offer. It's 80% refundable, so if the deal falls through, I pay $100-200. This is an old friend of my mom's. He's been in the business for 20 years. I'm just wondering if this is outlandish or on par with the industry standard. His debt to service coverage ratio is 1.25%.

This first purchase is smaller than the investors usual investment, but he knows the potential of future business when my husband and I quadruple our income in 2019. The investor is very interested in us, and generally enjoys our character and business skills. 

Option 2: Bank that warehouses their own loans.

I'm working with another loan officer who works with banks and doesn't charge a specific fee. (I think he gets about $300 per transaction). However, the banks terms will not be as favorable as the private lender. We don't have any specific bank in mind, but I meet with him later this month to go over our options.

FYI we're purchasing in NW Indiana and we do not have a specific property lined up at the moment. Inventory is tight and we're working on finding one fervently.

0Reply
17 views

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Andrew PostellPro Member
    Lender · Fort Worth, TX · Member since 2016 · 8k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    9y

    @Lisa Rispoli since this is a multi-family deal I might suggest to post this under the Commercial Forums for better responses.  Based on what you stated these terms are pretty normal.  Commercial lending can vary GREATLY depending on the property and normally they won't know your terms until they underwrite the property.  I have only dabbled in the commercial side though.  The commercial forums might be a better fit for this post.  Thanks!

  • Oak Lawn, IL · Member since 2016 · 53 posts · 12 votes
    9y

    @Andrew Postell thank you! I'll post that there now. I appreciate the tip.

  • Oak Lawn, IL · Member since 2016 · 53 posts · 12 votes
    9y

    Yikes. By no means am I bragging about our astronomical student loans @Account Closed.  Staring down the barrel of over a half a million dollar debt is nothing of which to be proud. I'm just asking the hive mind how we should handle the situation considering our circumstances and discussing the pros and cons of option 1 versus option 2 (e.g. easily overlooked pitfalls from either side of the token). I'm a positive and helpful person, and Bigger Pockets fosters the same mentality, sir. 

  • Real Estate Investor · Haughton, LA · Member since 2017 · 16 posts · 3 votes
    9y

    Great response.  Tune out the noise...

  • Golden, CO · Member since 2016 · 145 posts · 61 votes
    9y

    I broker commercial loans and generally do not charge a retainer. I find retainer/upfront fees distasteful and there are many crooks out there that take "retainers" and don't do anything. The pitch I make to my clients is that I only get paid when a deal closes so my fortunes are tied with yours. I many times do work and not get paid but my reputation is solid and my referral sources know I am very reputable.

    With all that being said, I think the rates and terms in Option 1 are reasonable and his/her flat fee of $3,500 is not bad relative to the size of the deal. Keep in mind this person may also get paid some of an origination fee. As for the nominal retainer amount, if this loan officer has a track record with your mother then I think $500 should not be a barrier.

    A few more things to keep in mind: Many institutional multi-family lenders offer non-personal recourse loans. I'm sure as an attorney you can appreciate that benefit. However, many of these institutional lenders require prior multi-family ownership experience.

    If I can help in any other way please PM directly.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.