Loan Options with High Debt-to-Income Ratio

Loan Options with High Debt-to-Income Ratio

Architect · San Francisco, CA · Member since 2017 · 89 posts · 41 votes

Hello BP world,

I'm in the early stages of my investment process but have come across a potential hurdle after speaking with a banker today. Here's the situation:

I currently rent in San Francisco (a very expensive market) but am looking to invest in the midwest. My current living situation is such that I have 2 roommates subleasing from me, meaning I am the only one on the lease.  According to the banker I spoke with today, even though the rent is split 3 ways, being the only person on the lease throws my debt-to-income ratio way out of whack and will likely make it impossible for me to secure a loan.

We've previously tried adding or swapping roommates on our lease but our Property Manager has not allowed this. 

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!  

0Reply
8 views

1 Reply

Jump to latestLatest
  • Chris MasonPro Member
    Moderator
    Lender · CA · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Lesley Ray:

    Hello BP world,

    I'm in the early stages of my investment process but have come across a potential hurdle after speaking with a banker today. Here's the situation:

    I currently rent in San Francisco (a very expensive market) but am looking to invest in the midwest. My current living situation is such that I have 2 roommates subleasing from me, meaning I am the only one on the lease.  According to the banker I spoke with today, even though the rent is split 3 ways, being the only person on the lease throws my debt-to-income ratio way out of whack and will likely make it impossible for me to secure a loan.

    We've previously tried adding or swapping roommates on our lease but our Property Manager has not allowed this. 

    Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!  

     Owner occupant loans have ways of including/incorporating that "boarder income," but alas investment property loans do not. :\

    Rental income from the property you are buying may be sufficient to overcome the issue, however. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.