Need financing help for my new deal!

Need financing help for my new deal!

Investor · Vista, CA · Member since 2015 · 163 posts · 58 votes

I'll be concise.  Looking to buy a MFH in the $450k-$500k range in north San Diego.  It will be owner-occupied.  I have been W-2'd for 13 years, but the last 2 couple of months started consulting and am now a 1099 contractor.  FICA 800ish.  All real estate properties/taxes look good and no past issues.

I was told by a mortgage broker that since I'm not W-2'd anymore and don't 3 years of schedule C from 1099 that I won't  qualify for conventional fannie program.  I sought private money and sourced a non-QM at 5.75% up to $500,000 with 20% down.  I looked into selling a property to get the downpayment and for reasons I won't go into, that may not work.  

Now I'm thinking two things:

1- Is anyone doing HELOCs on investment properties right now? I looked a lot last year with no success. I have a property valued at $210,000 with a $105,000 note. A 75% LTV HELOC could give me $50,000 for a downpayment. Could bring another $20,000 to the table for a total of $70,000 downpayment, but would need have a loan in the 15-20% downpayment range to meet my market. Again this is Owner Occupied.

2 - Is my broker correct about my loan limitations given that I'm 1099?  

Any help or suggestions are always appreciated from you guys!

Zach

0Reply
18 views

Most Popular Reply

Walnut Creek, CA · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
9y

I have a OOS lender that has source for investment HELOC and is investor friendly so might be able to help out with the 1099 issue. I've thought I have seen that you can get around the 1099 by using job history if same career field... but I have no source for that.

Message me if you want his info...

See this reply in the discussion

10 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Walnut Creek, CA · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y

    I have a OOS lender that has source for investment HELOC and is investor friendly so might be able to help out with the 1099 issue. I've thought I have seen that you can get around the 1099 by using job history if same career field... but I have no source for that.

    Message me if you want his info...

  • Lender · Tulsa, OK · Member since 2017 · 2 posts · 1 vote
    9y
    Zach, Broker is right in that your 1099 income is a challenge for Fannie/Freddie programs. They both require 2yrs of 1099 income for it to be considered “stable” for qualification purposes. If you choose to pursue, possibly check out a local community bank or find a mortgage lender who offers Caliber Home Loans or SG Capitals products. Rates are higher than Agency, but less than private money. Ask your broker to check out Sprout Mortgage as well. NOO Helocs? Yes. Pentagon Federal CU does them up to 80% cltv up to $400K. I’m a client of theirs and to become a member, just make a donation to one of their listed charities. Hope I’ve been of some help. Best, Rob
  • Walnut Creek, CA · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y

    You can get a HELOC on an investment... this isn't even the only souce:
    https://www.penfed.org/home-equity-center/home-equity-loans

  • Investor · Vista, CA · Member since 2015 · 163 posts · 58 votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Robert Ross:

    Zach,

    Broker is right in that your 1099 income is a challenge for Fannie/Freddie programs. They both require 2yrs of 1099 income for it to be considered “stable” for qualification purposes.

    If you choose to pursue, possibly check out a local community bank or find a mortgage lender who offers Caliber Home Loans or SG Capitals products. Rates are higher than Agency, but less than private money. Ask your broker to check out Sprout Mortgage as well.

    NOO Helocs? Yes. Pentagon Federal CU does them up to 80% cltv up to $400K.

    I’m a client of theirs and to become a member, just make a donation to one of their listed charities. Hope I’ve been of some help.

    Best,

    Rob

     Great rob thx so much.  Will look into this tmrrw 

  • Investor · Vista, CA · Member since 2015 · 163 posts · 58 votes
    9y

    Thanks so much guys.  Love BP!  Will investigate these options

  • Lender · Huntington Beach, CA · Member since 2016 · 19 posts · 6 votes
    9y
    Zach, I know Wells Fargo offers HELOCs on some rental properties but just be aware they are a conservative bank. Farmer's & Merchants Bank may be another. Good luck.
  • Investor · Vista, CA · Member since 2015 · 163 posts · 58 votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Barry Dameshek:

    Zach, I know Wells Fargo offers HELOCs on some rental properties but just be aware they are a conservative bank. Farmer's & Merchants Bank may be another. Good luck.

     Thanks! This wasn't the case last year, but will check them out now if they're offering.  

    Zach

  • Harjeet BhattiPro Member
    Lender · Glenview IL- CDLP NMLS#230554 · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 747 votes
    9y

    If you are in same line of work you can get an exception with one year tax return with 1099 income.  

  • Lender · Huntington Beach, CA · Member since 2016 · 19 posts · 6 votes
    9y

    Zach, I spoke to Wells last year and they were offering them. However, maybe it's only within certain states like CA because of the elevated property values. Hard to say. Farmers is also available but probably restricted to CA or western states. They will also be more expensive. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.