Stretching HELOC Dollars with a Market Reset

Stretching HELOC Dollars with a Market Reset

Specialist · Charleston, SC · Member since 2017 · 10 posts · 1 vote

After recently refinancing a duplex, the remaining equity will allow me to open an interest-only HELOC with a maximum withdrawal amount of $21,300. The HELOC is fixed for the first 5 years and then it will adjust with prime, the draw period is 15 years, and the amortization schedule will be 30 years.

Since I think the market is hot/inflated right now, and inventory is low, my goal was to get a high appraisal, lock in a HELOC, and use it to buy properties at a discount down the road (assuming that prices will reset within the next 5 years). My concern is whether it is common for banks to have clauses in a HELOC product that will allow them to stop the draw period at any time due to discontent in dropping housing values. I worry that if we experience another market bubble like in 2008, the bank will assume that my property isn't worth the prior appraisal, and will try to discontinue the draw period in fear of not having enough collateral during a foreclosure. Is this common? If I can't pull it when prices drop, then this long term strategy will need to be replaced with a more immediate project.

Thank you for any thoughts, I am planning to close on the HELOC next Tuesday, 2/27/18, and will be reading the fine print for the loan in advance once the bank sends it to me tomorrow morning. Cheers!

0Reply
22 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Brockton, MA · Member since 2017 · 4 posts · 1 vote
    8y

    Hi Joseph,  

    I had a HELOC in the last downturn and the bank closed my HELOC without my consent once the prices started dropping, so this is definitely a possibility if the bank determines that you don't still have a 20% equity in the house.

    But, on the flip side, with every payment to your first position mortgage you are decreasing the event of that happening as long as you equity add from your first position mortgage grows faster than the market drop.  

    I have a new HELOC now, 10 years later with a different bank at 4.05%, used for RE down payments and I mitigate this reality in two ways. The first as mentioned above -- equity add through the principle portion of the loan payment -- and I am also sending some extra payments to the first position loan as an extra equity insurance policy and pay off my primary residence faster. Of course if your low on income in the first place it will be hard to do the second. Also, in my case the interest on my first loan is higher than the 4.05 for the second.

    Hope this helps answer your question.

  • Specialist · Charleston, SC · Member since 2017 · 10 posts · 1 vote
    8y
    Hi Mathew, Thank you for reaching out, this makes sense and answers my question! I ended up taking out the equity so that I wouldn't lose access, and have ways of offsetting the interest and look at it like an insurance cost. Thanks again, make it a great weekend! Cody
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.