Lines of Credit on Rental Properties

Lines of Credit on Rental Properties

Rental Property Investor · Member since 2018 · 4 posts · 0 votes
What are typically the best places to open a Line of Credit on a home? In my particular case it is a Rental Property that i own.
0Reply
19 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Drums, PA · Member since 2017 · 345 posts · 365 votes
7y
@Thomas Jaeger I Perfer to open a commercial LOC on my rentals. This way, the bank lends on the rental income “business value”, Vs simply the appraised value of the home.
See this reply in the discussion

9 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Drums, PA · Member since 2017 · 345 posts · 365 votes
    7y
    @Thomas Jaeger I Perfer to open a commercial LOC on my rentals. This way, the bank lends on the rental income “business value”, Vs simply the appraised value of the home.
  • Rental Property Investor · Member since 2018 · 4 posts · 0 votes
    7y

    @Mike Dorneman what do the numbers look like in a situation like that? Thanks for the reply!

  • Rental Property Investor · Drums, PA · Member since 2017 · 345 posts · 365 votes
    7y
    @Thomas Jaeger I’m typically seeing about 20% greater value with a commercial Vs. personal heloc. Rates are slightly higher however. I got a 5.5% @ 20 years on a HELOC last week.
  • Specialist · Columbus, GA · Member since 2016 · 146 posts · 54 votes
    7y
    Thomas Jaeger what do you plan to Ulysses the credit line for? I leverage rental property for more working capital for flips.
  • Rental Property Investor · Member since 2018 · 4 posts · 0 votes
    7y

    @David Goings I am a fairly new investor but i plan on using the LOC for a down payment on another buy and hold rental investment at some point in the short future. I have about $55k-$65k in Equity in my first rental property.

  • Specialist · Columbus, GA · Member since 2016 · 146 posts · 54 votes
    7y
    Thomas Jaeger sounds like a good plan...if the numbers on the credit line (interest/closing costs) and the new rental house works. I would caveat this by saying know the terms of the credit line in and out. Some have time restrictions that make the deal not worth doing. A concern of mine is how often it has to be renewed, longer the better in my opinion.
  • Buckley, WA · Member since 2018 · 18 posts · 6 votes
    7y
    @Mike Dorneman Where did/do you find this product? I have a duplex that I had intended to put a HELOC however a 20 year commercial sounds better to me.
  • Rental Property Investor · Drums, PA · Member since 2017 · 345 posts · 365 votes
    7y
    @Chris Hewitt most every bank offers a standard 20 year commercial loan. Very common, everyday product.
  • Member since 2018 · 1 post · 0 votes
    7y

    It should't be more than 5% on overdraft when somehting goes wrong with your loan or mortage ot anything like that. If it really goes bad you can always take something with quick loans like paydayloanstexas-tx.com and you'll have some time to get it all together and figure out what to do next. But be carefull, loans tend to multiply when you do not control your financial sutiation and you will have to take more and more to close previous ones and you will end with almost nothing but only debts. You don't want that to happen.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.