HELOC to get another property for cash?

HELOC to get another property for cash?

Real Estate Investor · Greenacres, WA · Member since 2011 · 47 posts · 8 votes

Hi All, fairly new member here. I have searched, but have not found specifics recently that would address this issue. We are in the midst of purchasing our 3rd rental. It is a REO. We are purchasing it at 60% ARV, so am wondering if anyone regularly gets HELOC to buy something with the HELOC $?
Then start flipping the one purchased with the HELOC monies. We would keep the 3 rentals we have now for long term growth, but am thinking of moving into the flipping arena with this idea.

Thoughts?

2Reply
64 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Investor · Plano, TX · Member since 2011 · 16 posts · 10 votes
15y

Mary,

I have had luck with a HELOC on a non-owner occupied property at Wells Fargo. I have done my primary banking there for years. I did have to talk to probably 8-10 different mortgage gurus in various branches. It seems they have good products, but many of those in the bank just don't know how to sell them to you. I essentially interviewed bankers and told them exactly what I wanted.

I got it and did in 3 weeks, no closing costs. Mine was for $70k on a property that I purchased 9 months earlier for $55k. I then went back in and got another one. I did own the home outright and had extensive history with them including unsecured lines.

I was surprised how easy it was. Terms are good for what I am using them for. Interest only at 5.49% right now. Actually that has been my rate since i opened them.

For a Big Bank - I am really happy with them.

Good luck.
Ch.

See this reply in the discussion

26 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Orlando, FL · Member since 2009 · 2k+ posts · 282 votes
    15y
    Originally posted by Chuck H.:
    70%. I could not tell how they were identlfying the value. They did not do an appraisal..maybe just a drive by appraisal.

    When I spoke with TD they told me they would either do a drive by or do a comp via computer.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.