I was wondering if anyone has used Fund and Grow along with Plastiq for paying a down payment for investment properties. Plastiq states that certain credit cards from Fund and Grow can be used through Plastiq to send down payment to an escrow account. Does anyone have experience with this or other options in using Fund and Grow credit cards with conventional/unconventional lenders? Please let me know. Thanks.
I just closed on a duplex with a conventional mortgage loan, and I used Fund & Grow and Plastiq to wire part of the downpayment. This was the process for me:
NOTES:
Ask Questions. I was very skeptical and cautious because I was relying on these business lines of credit to make this deal possible. I asked a ton of questions of both Fund and Grow and Plastiq, and I highly recommend you do the same because every deal and financial situation can look different.
Get the Clear to Close. Cash deals are obviously different, but this was a traditional mortgage through a bank so I had to show sufficient funds to close between all the personal and business accounts* along with every other mortgage requirement. Business lines of credit don't count as funds to close, so you'll need to show and source sufficient funds before they give the go-ahead. From what I've heard, banks just need plausible deniability as far as funds go, so once you have the "clear to close", you can theoretically wire funds from somewhere else without issue. I'm not an attorney, not a mortgage broker, not a bank, etc., etc.
*make sure that your name is on all the business accounts that you use and get written permission from the other members to use the funds.
Have good credit. Fund and Grow does ding your personal credit, and those inquiries will be asked about by the mortgage underwriter. Tell the truth. Your company is applying for business lines of credit through your credit score, but you are not personally liable for those accounts. If your credit score is high enough, you shouldn't have any issues.
This is information I wish I had before doing this deal, so hopefully it's helpful! Good luck and God Bless!
I just closed on a duplex with a conventional mortgage loan, and I used Fund & Grow and Plastiq to wire part of the downpayment. This was the process for me:
NOTES:
Ask Questions. I was very skeptical and cautious because I was relying on these business lines of credit to make this deal possible. I asked a ton of questions of both Fund and Grow and Plastiq, and I highly recommend you do the same because every deal and financial situation can look different.
Get the Clear to Close. Cash deals are obviously different, but this was a traditional mortgage through a bank so I had to show sufficient funds to close between all the personal and business accounts* along with every other mortgage requirement. Business lines of credit don't count as funds to close, so you'll need to show and source sufficient funds before they give the go-ahead. From what I've heard, banks just need plausible deniability as far as funds go, so once you have the "clear to close", you can theoretically wire funds from somewhere else without issue. I'm not an attorney, not a mortgage broker, not a bank, etc., etc.
*make sure that your name is on all the business accounts that you use and get written permission from the other members to use the funds.
Have good credit. Fund and Grow does ding your personal credit, and those inquiries will be asked about by the mortgage underwriter. Tell the truth. Your company is applying for business lines of credit through your credit score, but you are not personally liable for those accounts. If your credit score is high enough, you shouldn't have any issues.
This is information I wish I had before doing this deal, so hopefully it's helpful! Good luck and God Bless!
Hi Jonathan! Very valuable information. Just the insights I was looking for. I've been thinking of opening a business credit card and using this exact same process, but I was wondering if I tell my DSCR lender if that's my plan from the beginning? Also when I should open up the card? When I am in Escrow and right before closing? Or while I'm in Escrow? I just don't want to run into any problems with the lender when I am about to close on the house. Any insights is much appreciated!
I just closed on a duplex with a conventional mortgage loan, and I used Fund & Grow and Plastiq to wire part of the downpayment. This was the process for me:
NOTES:
Ask Questions. I was very skeptical and cautious because I was relying on these business lines of credit to make this deal possible. I asked a ton of questions of both Fund and Grow and Plastiq, and I highly recommend you do the same because every deal and financial situation can look different.
Get the Clear to Close. Cash deals are obviously different, but this was a traditional mortgage through a bank so I had to show sufficient funds to close between all the personal and business accounts* along with every other mortgage requirement. Business lines of credit don't count as funds to close, so you'll need to show and source sufficient funds before they give the go-ahead. From what I've heard, banks just need plausible deniability as far as funds go, so once you have the "clear to close", you can theoretically wire funds from somewhere else without issue. I'm not an attorney, not a mortgage broker, not a bank, etc., etc.
*make sure that your name is on all the business accounts that you use and get written permission from the other members to use the funds.
Have good credit. Fund and Grow does ding your personal credit, and those inquiries will be asked about by the mortgage underwriter. Tell the truth. Your company is applying for business lines of credit through your credit score, but you are not personally liable for those accounts. If your credit score is high enough, you shouldn't have any issues.
This is information I wish I had before doing this deal, so hopefully it's helpful! Good luck and God Bless!
Hey Jonathan, thanks for sharing this detailed breakdown! It's super helpful to see exactly how you navigated this process. I’m in the early stages of leveraging business credit for real estate deals and looking into similar funding strategies.
A couple of quick questions:
Appreciate your insights—looking forward to learning more!