FHA 96.5% Financing With Co-signer Not Occupying

FHA 96.5% Financing With Co-signer Not Occupying

Columbia, MO · Member since 2017 · 2 posts · 0 votes

Hey all, 

I'm working on making my first deal this summer and have a great deal on the hook, but am struggling with lenders.

I am looking at buying a triplex for $169,900 that cashflows great, and have been talking with multiple local lenders about the FHA financing. I bring to the table that I have never owned a home, will owner occupy, have great credit and can afford the down payment and other acquisition costs x2 over. However, I am not currently employed, so I was hoping to use a co-signer to overcome this hurdle. The problem I am running into is that the co-signer will not also be occupying, which was a red flag for this lender.

Has anyone used a lender that does not require the co-signing party to also owner occupy for the FHA loan or is that a universal deal-breaker??

Thank you!

0Reply
20 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Andrew PostellPro Member
    Lender · Fort Worth, TX · Member since 2016 · 8k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    6y

    @Matthew Hagen non-occupying co-borrowers are 100% allowed with FHA loans but they make it nearly impossible to work. If you have a non-occupying co-borrower your maximum LTV is 75%...in other words 25% down. Bleh.

  • Columbia, MO · Member since 2017 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Andrew Postell:

    @Matthew Hagen non-occupying co-borrowers are 100% allowed with FHA loans but they make it nearly impossible to work. If you have a non-occupying co-borrower your maximum LTV is 75%...in other words 25% down. Bleh.

    Thanks for the reply Andrew. That's what I was worried about... would really like the 3.5% down.. Not even sure why an FHA loan with 25% down would be an option to be honest with you lol. Looks like I'll be going conventional.

    Thanks again 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.