Rental Property Investor · High Point, NC · Member since 2020 · 17 posts · 3 votes
My fiancé and I want to buy our first house but she is on a leave and I’m unemployed due to Covid, we have a sizable savings account but no income at the moment. We need help getting approved for a fha loan or any loan with a low down payment.
My moms house is paid off and she has no other mortgages, also her credit is decent. Should I pay her to co-sign for us? I want to buy a undervalue property so I can refinance it into my own loan once we go back to work.
Please let me know if this is a good option or even possible
@Skylar Mcgee imo it's not a good idea. If you need a co-signer the bank is saying you are not ready to buy a home. Why would you want to commit to a home purchase without an income? Even if it could work, it's not a good idea for you and your fiancé to be tied to your mom financially heading into a new marriage. This could create much bigger issues in your marriage than not being able to buy a house as soon as you would like. Be patient, focus on your income and wait until you are ready to buy.
@Skylar Mcgee imo it's not a good idea. If you need a co-signer the bank is saying you are not ready to buy a home. Why would you want to commit to a home purchase without an income? Even if it could work, it's not a good idea for you and your fiancé to be tied to your mom financially heading into a new marriage. This could create much bigger issues in your marriage than not being able to buy a house as soon as you would like. Be patient, focus on your income and wait until you are ready to buy.
I like that you are looking at all options to make it work, I would recommend at least one of you be employed with a decent job if you are going to get someone to cosign if you needed a little help. If things don't go well you don't want to also risk her credit standing.
@Skylar Mcgee It's certainly possible and you should compensate your mom if she co-signs. I would be VERY conservative with all of your estimates in your analysis. If you have a sizable savings account, why are you putting such a low down payment down? Unless you find a "home-run" type deal, you may be better off waiting to buy until you or your wife have steady income again