Seller is under contract, but doesn't want to do an appraisa!

Seller is under contract, but doesn't want to do an appraisa!

Member since 2021 · 17 posts · 6 votes

Hello BP community, I wanted to come on here for some advice on a scenario with a seller.

My fiance and I are under contract for a SFH, our offer is 300K with the listing at around 260K in a desirable neighborhood. This house shouldn't have a problem appraising around our offer price because of the location and the comps in the area. However, the seller is now worried about the appraisal being much lower than our offer and wants us to sign an addendum to a minimum of 290K. We did not agree to this addendum because negotiations should have been made prior to being under contract and we know we have a strong original offer including an appraisal gap of 5K, amongst other things. We are hesitant in deciding whether we should counter with our own addendum or hold the seller to the contract as is.

Our appraisal is coming up soon in a few days and the seller is refusing the appraisal which would breach of contract. There are a few other things that have popped up but we wanted some input or if this has happened to any of you and what the outcome was in your situation.

Thank you so much! You can also DM as well.

0Reply
17 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Malcomb StapelPro Member
    Investor · Topeka, KS · Member since 2020 · 669 posts · 488 votes
    4y

    @Fionna Chau  

    So you have a contract for 300k subject to appraisal? 

    What is your down payment? 

    Can you make up the difference if it doesn't appraise? 

    Your seller is about to breach contract. You might ask you agent to reach out to their agent and politely negotiate the situation for you. 

  • Member since 2021 · 17 posts · 6 votes
    4y

    Yes, our down is 15% (45K), as of today the seller is going through with the appraisal, but we did tell the seller that we will seek legal action and a real estate attorney is on standby if he breaches the contract.

  • Investor · Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2017 · 108 posts · 30 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Fionna Chau:

    Yes, our down is 15% (45K), as of today the seller is going through with the appraisal, but we did tell the seller that we will seek legal action and a real estate attorney is on standby if he breaches the contract.

    The seller doesn't have a choice.  You should Cure them to force them to allow the appraisal. 
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.