How to deduct sump pump and french drains

How to deduct sump pump and french drains

Member since 2022 · 6 posts · 1 vote

Hi,

My rental property was having water issues, so I had sump pumps and french drains installed in order to mitigate and control the water. Is this considered an improvement or a repair in order to fix a problem my property has been having?


In addition, the cost was a few thousand dollars, so do I need to submit any forms like the 1099-NEC in order to get deductions for it?

1Reply
48 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Member since 2022 · 34 posts · 22 votes
    3y

    If you hired someone to drain the water and fix the damage that part could be expensed. The installation of the pump, french drain, and plumbing however would be an improvement and therefore charged to the capital account. 

  • Member since 2022 · 6 posts · 1 vote
    3y

    So do I need to fill out any forms to charge this improvement to a capital account for proof to the IRS? 

    In addition, I assume I should then depreciate this improvement over time, correct? 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.