Filing investment property tax

Filing investment property tax

New to Real Estate · Windsor, CT · Member since 2021 · 7 posts · 2 votes

How much is your accountant asking u to pay to do your investment properties taxes? Mine seems to be charging a lot because he said my 3 properties are in 3 different States and besides filing investment property taxes cost more than w2 tax preparation. 

1Reply
31 views

Most Popular Reply

Tami SchnollPro Member
Investor · Southern California · Member since 2021 · 3 posts · 3 votes
3y

I had a CPA tell me today that it would be $800-1500 depending on complexity. What's yours charging?

See this reply in the discussion

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Tami SchnollPro Member
    Investor · Southern California · Member since 2021 · 3 posts · 3 votes
    3y

    I had a CPA tell me today that it would be $800-1500 depending on complexity. What's yours charging?

  • New to Real Estate · Windsor, CT · Member since 2021 · 7 posts · 2 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Tami Schnoll:

    I had a CPA tell me today that it would be $800-1500 depending on complexity. What's yours charging?


     Yes that's exactly the same amount he's charging me....which is mind blowing!!

  • Linda WeygantPro Member
    Investor and CPA · Arvada, CO · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Blessing M Noah:
    Quote from @Tami Schnoll:

    I had a CPA tell me today that it would be $800-1500 depending on complexity. What's yours charging?


     Yes that's exactly the same amount he's charging me....which is mind blowing!!


     If your professional is charging $800 - $1500 to report three rental properties across 3 different states I would slam the signature onto the engagement letter right now.  You won't find a better deal to get this type of tax return prepared competently.

    What's mind blowing is that you entered into the life of a multi state landlord and somehow did not think that would significantly complicate your tax filings to the point where a competent professional would ask to be adequately compensated for the effort, knowledge level and time such a tax return would take.

  • New to Real Estate · Windsor, CT · Member since 2021 · 7 posts · 2 votes
    3y

    Yes u are right. Being a rookie investor i never thought about it and didn't even know it was not advisable to have properties in multiple States. I didn't consider the complexity but i guess I know now going forward. 

  • Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2021 · 9k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    3y

    Cheapest is not always the best option. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.