Converting personal residence to rental--tax questions

Converting personal residence to rental--tax questions

Alvin, TX · Member since 2015 · 15 posts · 2 votes

We bought a home in 2016. Moved out in July of 2021 and started a very drawn out rehab project. Finally got the place listed as an STR in December of 2022 and have been booked solid ever since.

At what point do I start filing a Schedule E?  We've already filed 2021 taxes.  I thought I could amend to file a Schedule E and take a loss for 2021, but Turbotax says I can't file the schedule E because the property wasn't placed in service in 2021.  

Turbotax never asked for a date of conversion, so where does that come into play? 

Unfortunately the CPA we've worked with in the past is booked this month, so I'm trying to figure this out on my own. :)

Thanks for any help you can offer!

1Reply
25 views

Most Popular Reply

Linda WeygantPro Member
Investor and CPA · Arvada, CO · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
3y
Quote from @Sharon D.:
Quote from @Linda Weygant:
Quote from @Sharon D.:
We haven't filed 2022 taxes yet so at this point we haven't claimed any income on the property.  But we did have and will report 2022 income for the property, none in 2021.  

So we can't deduct any expenses from 2021?  Utilities, taxes, insurance? 
No, nothing to deduct in 2021.
However, you should add up all the expenses from 2021 and 2022 and include that as basis which is then depreciated (not deducted)
Thank you!

So just to clarify, to establish the cost basis, I take the price I paid for the property, plus the cost of any capital improvements made both while I lived in the home and after I moved out.  And then I also add the cost of regular maintenance and repairs for the time period between when I moved out and when the property was placed in service?

 Sort of.  You're about 90% there.

Step 1.  Figure your purchase basis.  This is going to be the amount paid for the property plus some of your closing costs.

Step 2.  Allocate part of the purchase basis to land.  This amount is never depreciated.  You'll need to use one of the acceptable methods for allocating land basis.

Step 3.  Add all the expenses from 2021 plus everything from 2022 up until you placed it in service.  This is going to be all expenses that would otherwise have been deductible - interest, property taxes, insurance, utilities, etc PLUS the amount for remodel.  This total amount will be depreciated.

When I prepare returns with this issue, I add the Step 3 amount in as a separate asset called "remodel" or something so that I can accurately trace how I calculated Building Basis, Land Basis and Remodel Basis later, in case it's needed.

See this reply in the discussion

10 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · south carolina and michigan · Member since 2023 · 348 posts · 226 votes
    3y

    should follow income- "placing into service" unwritten rule is rented for a minimum of 2 weeks. should be able to claim going forward 2022 on.

    did you show any income for 2021 on the house or did you claim that in 2022?

    if the answer is 2022 then you cant go back and claim expenses without that income

  • Linda WeygantPro Member
    Investor and CPA · Arvada, CO · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    3y

    TurboTax gets this one correct - nothing to report if it was not placed in service.

    Sounds like your in-service date is December 2022, so all of your expenses up through that date must be DEPRECIATED (not deducted).

    I know your normal tax pro is busy, but the very best thing for you to do is to put yourself on extension and then get with your current pro (if they are real estate savvy) or shop for a new pro after April 18.

  • Alvin, TX · Member since 2015 · 15 posts · 2 votes
    3y
    We haven't filed 2022 taxes yet so at this point we haven't claimed any income on the property.  But we did have and will report 2022 income for the property, none in 2021.  

    So we can't deduct any expenses from 2021?  Utilities, taxes, insurance? 
  • Linda WeygantPro Member
    Investor and CPA · Arvada, CO · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Sharon D.:
    We haven't filed 2022 taxes yet so at this point we haven't claimed any income on the property.  But we did have and will report 2022 income for the property, none in 2021.  

    So we can't deduct any expenses from 2021?  Utilities, taxes, insurance? 
    No, nothing to deduct in 2021.
    However, you should add up all the expenses from 2021 and 2022 and include that as basis which is then depreciated (not deducted)
  • Alvin, TX · Member since 2015 · 15 posts · 2 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Linda Weygant:

    TurboTax gets this one correct - nothing to report if it was not placed in service.

    Sounds like your in-service date is December 2022, so all of your expenses up through that date must be DEPRECIATED (not deducted).

    I know your normal tax pro is busy, but the very best thing for you to do is to put yourself on extension and then get with your current pro (if they are real estate savvy) or shop for a new pro after April 18.


     Can I depreciate expenses that would normally not be capitalized, like utilities, taxes, and insurance?


    Is the in service date the same thing as the date of conversion?  I'm finding Turbotax articles that say the date of conversion is the day after you move out, and the date it is placed in service is the date you list it as available for rent.

    Unfortunately I can't put this off because I have a kid who needs our tax info for the FAFSA...ASAP.
  • Alvin, TX · Member since 2015 · 15 posts · 2 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Linda Weygant:
    Quote from @Sharon D.:
    We haven't filed 2022 taxes yet so at this point we haven't claimed any income on the property.  But we did have and will report 2022 income for the property, none in 2021.  

    So we can't deduct any expenses from 2021?  Utilities, taxes, insurance? 
    No, nothing to deduct in 2021.
    However, you should add up all the expenses from 2021 and 2022 and include that as basis which is then depreciated (not deducted)
    Thank you!

    So just to clarify, to establish the cost basis, I take the price I paid for the property, plus the cost of any capital improvements made both while I lived in the home and after I moved out.  And then I also add the cost of regular maintenance and repairs for the time period between when I moved out and when the property was placed in service?
  • Linda WeygantPro Member
    Investor and CPA · Arvada, CO · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Sharon D.:
    Quote from @Linda Weygant:
    Quote from @Sharon D.:
    We haven't filed 2022 taxes yet so at this point we haven't claimed any income on the property.  But we did have and will report 2022 income for the property, none in 2021.  

    So we can't deduct any expenses from 2021?  Utilities, taxes, insurance? 
    No, nothing to deduct in 2021.
    However, you should add up all the expenses from 2021 and 2022 and include that as basis which is then depreciated (not deducted)
    Thank you!

    So just to clarify, to establish the cost basis, I take the price I paid for the property, plus the cost of any capital improvements made both while I lived in the home and after I moved out.  And then I also add the cost of regular maintenance and repairs for the time period between when I moved out and when the property was placed in service?

     Sort of.  You're about 90% there.

    Step 1.  Figure your purchase basis.  This is going to be the amount paid for the property plus some of your closing costs.

    Step 2.  Allocate part of the purchase basis to land.  This amount is never depreciated.  You'll need to use one of the acceptable methods for allocating land basis.

    Step 3.  Add all the expenses from 2021 plus everything from 2022 up until you placed it in service.  This is going to be all expenses that would otherwise have been deductible - interest, property taxes, insurance, utilities, etc PLUS the amount for remodel.  This total amount will be depreciated.

    When I prepare returns with this issue, I add the Step 3 amount in as a separate asset called "remodel" or something so that I can accurately trace how I calculated Building Basis, Land Basis and Remodel Basis later, in case it's needed.

  • Michael PlaksPro Member
    Tax Accountant / Enrolled Agent · Houston, TX · Member since 2014 · 5k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Sharon D.:

    Wrong. FAFSA will ask for your 2021 tax return, not 2022. Do an extension as my colleagues advised. 

  • Alvin, TX · Member since 2015 · 15 posts · 2 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Linda Weygant:
    Quote from @Sharon D.:
    Quote from @Linda Weygant:
    Quote from @Sharon D.:
    We haven't filed 2022 taxes yet so at this point we haven't claimed any income on the property.  But we did have and will report 2022 income for the property, none in 2021.  

    So we can't deduct any expenses from 2021?  Utilities, taxes, insurance? 
    No, nothing to deduct in 2021.
    However, you should add up all the expenses from 2021 and 2022 and include that as basis which is then depreciated (not deducted)
    Thank you!

    So just to clarify, to establish the cost basis, I take the price I paid for the property, plus the cost of any capital improvements made both while I lived in the home and after I moved out.  And then I also add the cost of regular maintenance and repairs for the time period between when I moved out and when the property was placed in service?

     Sort of.  You're about 90% there.

    Step 1.  Figure your purchase basis.  This is going to be the amount paid for the property plus some of your closing costs.

    Step 2.  Allocate part of the purchase basis to land.  This amount is never depreciated.  You'll need to use one of the acceptable methods for allocating land basis.

    Step 3.  Add all the expenses from 2021 plus everything from 2022 up until you placed it in service.  This is going to be all expenses that would otherwise have been deductible - interest, property taxes, insurance, utilities, etc PLUS the amount for remodel.  This total amount will be depreciated.

    When I prepare returns with this issue, I add the Step 3 amount in as a separate asset called "remodel" or something so that I can accurately trace how I calculated Building Basis, Land Basis and Remodel Basis later, in case it's needed.


     Thank you!  Yes, I included relevant closing costs and allocated part of the purchase basis to land. :)

  • Alvin, TX · Member since 2015 · 15 posts · 2 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Michael Plaks:
    Quote from @Sharon D.:

    Wrong. FAFSA will ask for your 2021 tax return, not 2022. Do an extension as my colleagues advised. 


    I initially thought that I was amending the 2021 return, but now that I know I'm not, we can file the FAFSA!  Thanks!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.