Deductions while converting my primary residence to a mid-term/short term rental

Deductions while converting my primary residence to a mid-term/short term rental

Tallahassee, FL · Member since 2017 · 46 posts · 8 votes

I am in the process of renovating and furnishing my primary residence townhome into a mid or short term rental. I've owned the property for four years. Does the fact that it is now my primary residence have any impact on what I can deduct from my taxable income? 

Also, this change will happen in the 2nd half of the year. In order to claim these deductions, do I have to have income coming in from the converted property for more than a certain portion of the year? Thanks for any help!

0Reply
13 views

1 Reply

Jump to latestLatest
  • Tallahassee, FL · Member since 2017 · 46 posts · 8 votes
    3y

    I should have done a search. There is at least one other thread closely related to this one. But if any other concepts come to mind I'd love to hear them. I am in Florida for context.

    https://www.biggerpockets.com/...

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.