Property manages utilities bills or do you put it under your name?

Property manages utilities bills or do you put it under your name?

Minneapolis · Member since 2023 · 11 posts · 2 votes

Hi, please forgive me as I am new to airBNB. 

For tax write offs, what would be best to handle utilities bills? Property manager or doing it yourself? 

0Reply
18 views

Most Popular Reply

Joseph PalmieroBusiness Member
CPA · PA · Member since 2023 · 151 posts · 115 votes
3y

For tax write-off purposes, there is no difference.

See this reply in the discussion

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Joseph PalmieroBusiness Member
    CPA · PA · Member since 2023 · 151 posts · 115 votes
    3y

    For tax write-off purposes, there is no difference.

  • Investor · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    3y

    If the PM will do it for free let them do it. I assume this is some weird case where the tenant isn’t responsible for utilities? I usually put all possible in to tenants name. He ones that I can’t (Vegas sewer) I simply forward the bill to my PM who bills them collects the money. 

    As mentioned, if you’re paying the bill you get to deduct it, fi the tenant’s paying, you don’t. No tax difference. (I.E in my case I can’t write off the ones I pay and get reimbursed or that the tenant pays directly, because the tenant is paying them not me. Except when the property is empty.)

  • Real Estate Broker · Hyde Park Tampa, FL · Member since 2019 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    3y

    I recommend putting them in your name. Investors need to retain control of their properties even when a PM is engaged. By turning it 'all' over to the PM, it's extremely difficult to regain control should that relationship fail - and they do fail on a regular and routine basis. Also make sure that you have regular communication with the PM so - not only are you well informed - but in order to make it well known that you are an active and ROI oriented owner.

    Hope this helps...

  • Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2021 · 9k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    3y

    It can go either way. If you want to be completely hands off, you will allow the PM to handle those bills. Many Airbnb property managers will leave it to the owner to pay utilities.

  • Theresa HarrisPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    3y

    I have both.  They were initially in my name when I bought it, then we added the PM. The PM makes sure the tenants are paying and if there is a turnover, the PM deals with everything.  I get emails if there is an outstanding balance or change over, but the PM handles everything.

  • Minneapolis · Member since 2023 · 11 posts · 2 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Patricia Steiner:

    I recommend putting them in your name. Investors need to retain control of their properties even when a PM is engaged. By turning it 'all' over to the PM, it's extremely difficult to regain control should that relationship fail - and they do fail on a regular and routine basis. Also make sure that you have regular communication with the PM so - not only are you well informed - but in order to make it well known that you are an active and ROI oriented owner.

    Hope this helps...

    Thanks. That would make sense and I am planning to give the property manager about 6 month trial. It might help to have the utilities under my name so I have to go through the hassle of our relationship is done.
  • Minneapolis · Member since 2023 · 11 posts · 2 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Eliott Elias:

    It can go either way. If you want to be completely hands off, you will allow the PM to handle those bills. Many Airbnb property managers will leave it to the owner to pay utilities.

    Since I’m paying them a monthly management fee, handling utilities, also part of their service, so maybe I could just have them do it since I’m paying for it. 
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.