How to Appeal Property Tax Increase

How to Appeal Property Tax Increase

Member since 2024 · 3 posts · 1 vote

Hi All,

I just closed on a SFR in Cincinnati (Hamilton County) and our property taxes will increase significantly. We anticipate we'll pay approximately 2.25% of the purchase price. It's my understanding that the previous auditor only had the position for eight months, jacked everyone's taxes up, and then resigned and passed away. Now, people are fighting back to appeal the raises.

At this point, I'm planning on contacting the county and the auditor, but before I do this, I wanted to find out if anyone on here has had a similar experience in Cincinnati and if they've found any success in appealing property taxes.

With gratitude,

Trevor



1Reply
27 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 10k+ votes
1y

I’ve never owned anything in Ohio or even been there. But a quick google says Jessica Miranda has had the position since April. And she’s the one that released the latest tax rates and year to year comparisons in September of 2024. So maybe you’re thinking of someone from 2023? Anyway, the current auditor set the current rates, and is still at the job..

https://www.hamiltoncountyauditor.org/

See this reply in the discussion

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Sam McCormackBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Cincinnati, OH/NKY · Member since 2021 · 1k+ posts · 833 votes
    1y

    Hey Trevor, shoot me a message to see if we can work on this together, but while i HAVE NOT seen this, I can connect with some PMs to see if they have experience doing it. I have issues with numbers all the time here, mostly to do with impending property tax increases, so it would be nice to know this too. I am going to talk to my PM about it to see if and how it was done, so if you would like to be included in the conversation or I can let you know, would love to have you there to see how it is done

    Sam McCormack Realtor
    View Page
  • Investor · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    1y

    I’ve never owned anything in Ohio or even been there. But a quick google says Jessica Miranda has had the position since April. And she’s the one that released the latest tax rates and year to year comparisons in September of 2024. So maybe you’re thinking of someone from 2023? Anyway, the current auditor set the current rates, and is still at the job..

    https://www.hamiltoncountyauditor.org/

  • Member since 2024 · 238 posts · 132 votes
    1y
    Quote from @Trevor H.:

    Hi All,

    I just closed on a SFR in Cincinnati (Hamilton County) and our property taxes will increase significantly. We anticipate we'll pay approximately 2.25% of the purchase price. It's my understanding that the previous auditor only had the position for eight months, jacked everyone's taxes up, and then resigned and passed away. Now, people are fighting back to appeal the raises.

    At this point, I'm planning on contacting the county and the auditor, but before I do this, I wanted to find out if anyone on here has had a similar experience in Cincinnati and if they've found any success in appealing property taxes.

    With gratitude,

    Trevor



    Sorry I missed your post earlier.

    Petitions for revaluation are filed only between 1/1 and 3/31 each year. By law, the most recent purchase price is the default value and it is impossible to overcome unless the property was destroyed after the recent purchase. That is why we conceal the purchase price whenever possible. Not easy to do with bank financing. Ask me off public to explain.

    But, the point is, you are going to pay based on the purchase price.

    I can tell you a lot more but don't expect it to help.

  • Member since 2024 · 3 posts · 1 vote
    1y

    Thank you All for your insight here!

  • Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2016 · 116 posts · 83 votes
    1y

    How much did you buy it for and what's your annual tax bill? Recently I got a huge increase also. On a 320k property Ill be paying 9k annually. 

  • Member since 2024 · 238 posts · 132 votes
    1y
    Quote from @Timur Salikov:

    How much did you buy it for and what's your annual tax bill? Recently I got a huge increase also. On a 320k property Ill be paying 9k annually. 


    It will be about 3% of tax value which is the sale price in a recent sale.
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.