Will real estate depreciation impact cashout refi

Will real estate depreciation impact cashout refi

Member since 2022 · 18 posts · 21 votes

Hi, I am looking to do cash out refi for one of my properties. However, my other properties will depreciate for tax purpose, therefore I have paper loss, but I still cashflow on those. My question is will such paper loss impact the cash out refi process?

0Reply
25 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Michael PlaksPro Member
    Tax Accountant / Enrolled Agent · Houston, TX · Member since 2014 · 5k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    1y
    Quote from @Zeliang Zheng:

    Hi, I am looking to do cash out refi for one of my properties. However, my other properties will depreciate for tax purpose, therefore I have paper loss, but I still cashflow on those. My question is will such paper loss impact the cash out refi process?


    For underwriting purposes, lenders add back all depreciation. So depreciation does not affect your borrowing eligibility, however most other business expenses do.

  • Natalie KolodijBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Tax Strategist| National Tax Educator| Accepting New Clients · Member since 2014 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    1y

    Lenders will typically add back depreciation, one-off large expenses, etc. 

    The best way to confirm is to discuss with the lender exactly for their specific underwriting. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.