Question: Quarterly taxes on LLC member income

4 Replies

Let's say I am the only member of an LLC and the business makes 20k through wholesaling in a given quarter. If my marketing expenses were 3k, I suppose I would be expected to pay personal taxes on the remaining 17k. But what if that 17k is immediately fed back into the business, for instance as a portion of a down payment on a buy and hold? Do I owe zero taxes for this quarter?

You should consult a tax professional. Funds used as equity (ie: down payment) on another property is not considered an expense. Things like closing costs to your LLC would be an expense. So you would still owe taxes on a portion of the 17k. You can do 1031 exchanges as a way to defer taxes, but it's designed more for a buy and hold strategy than a flipping houses strategy.

That makes sense, since a contribution to equity isn't really a cost. I know to contact tax professionals, but I'm just trying to get a general understanding of how this stuff works. What if that 17k were used toward renovation costs on a flip? Would this still be considered a contribution toward equity?

I believe most major renovation cost would be considered capital improvements and would fall under a depreciation schedule.
In other words, no you wouldn't be able to use them to offset your tax liability.

Good to know. Thanks, all. I'd tag you but I'm on a tablet and this site isn't tablet friendly.

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.