Do the pros really pay 0 in taxes?

Do the pros really pay 0 in taxes?

Member since 2024 · 16 posts · 1 vote

Hi all - Dave Matthews here. I've got two properties now, townhome and single family, both rented. This will be my first year where I will be reporting ALL the rental income (some 60k or so). My question to you all is how in the world do folks deduct deduct deduct so that their tax burden on rental income is zero or close to it? I am worried that I will owe big in 2026... 

1Reply
79 views

Most Popular Reply

Chris SeveneyBusiness Member
Moderator
Investor · VA · Member since 2015 · 21k+ posts · 19k+ votes
1y
Quote from @David Matthews:

Hi all - Dave Matthews here. I've got two properties now, townhome and single family, both rented. This will be my first year where I will be reporting ALL the rental income (some 60k or so). My question to you all is how in the world do folks deduct deduct deduct so that their tax burden on rental income is zero or close to it? I am worried that I will owe big in 2026... 


 Just remember its not that they are not paying taxes - its they are deferring them.

As an example (not a CPA), lets say you have $10,000 in income and you depreciate your property by $10,000 - your net gain is zero BUT your cost basis (lets say you paid $250,000 for the property) is now $240,000. So if you sell it for $300,000 - the property now has a $60k gain (not $50k). Hope that makes some sense.

You can 1031 to defer it but a 1031 is typically done by institutional investors and its rare for individuals to do it.

7e investments53 Reviews
See this reply in the discussion

37 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
    Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.