Taxes - Owner Occupant SF with Renters

Taxes - Owner Occupant SF with Renters

Investor · Clinton, MD · Member since 2014 · 5 posts · 0 votes

Good morning/afternoon everybody! Long time lurker, first time discussion starter! I've got a 4br/3fba SF that I purchased using VA Insured loan over a year ago. So 100% owner occupied w/out renters for the 1st year. Starting in November 2014 I had other military friends that were looking to get off-base housing. I thought, "Hey! this could be a good idea" I rented out 3 of my 4 bedrooms and am living in the 4th one myself. I have year long leases/agreements with each of the tenants who occupy the property. I've read on several occasions that you can write off 4% of the total value of the property each year as depreciation in addition to writing off renovations and maintenance. I'm having difficulty determining if I'm entitled to either none, all or at least 3/4 (since i live in 1/4) of the write offs when I file taxes next year.

Any ideas? I'm willing to provide more information if necessary.

0Reply
10 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · San Angelo, TX · Member since 2013 · 104 posts · 27 votes
    11y

    @Dominick Alfano

    Welcome to posting on BP.  I have never been in your situation, however I have read about it and seen it on TV.  I highly recommend this book:

    Every Landlord's Tax Deduction Guide

    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1413321143/ref=pd...

    I purchase it every year to ensure I am on top of the latest laws and rules.  I know many hire CPA or experts, I do not have a complex situation and numbers come easy to me.  This book is a great base knowledge start for a low cost.  Easy to read and understand also. 

  • Edmond, OK · Member since 2012 · 456 posts · 270 votes
    11y

    @Dominick Alfano

    Only a CPA/Tax Preparer can tell you definitively. Don't hesitate to meet one. They don't charge like lawyers would. In fact, in the process of compiling your tax returns, they ask you such questions, or you can ask such questions, because they have to fill the appropriate forms based on what you provide.

    But it doesn't hurt to have some knowledge, so here goes:

    Since you rental income is classified as Passive Income, any renovations and maintenance can be deducted only from your rental income (or other passive income), but not from your W2/military income. This is still a good deal because the overall taxable rental profit will be reduced and you may not owe any taxes due to depreciation and other expenses.

    In summary, I would think that you are entitled to writing off 3/4 of your property's expenses from your property's rental income (not your other active income).

  • Investor · Clinton, MD · Member since 2014 · 5 posts · 0 votes
    11y

    Great advice from both of you. Thanks for the timely responses I sincerely appreciate it. I'll definitely grab that book as well as contact a CPA regarding the situation.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.