thinking about running my properties through a property mgmt entity, have a few questions.

thinking about running my properties through a property mgmt entity, have a few questions.

Investor · Porter Corners, NY · Member since 2015 · 17 posts · 1 vote

new to the site after watching a very informative blog where the individual discussed the aspects he LEAST enjoyed about being a landlord. ANSWER: tenant interaction. Mine seems to be the safe. all too often I bend over for tenants only to be taken advantage all. they all seem to feel that "oh you're a landlord you're rich" when I send late notices or complain when rent isn't paid on time. The investor in the BLOGs response to this was open a Property Management Company and filter all communications through that. I can then simply state I'm just the "manager", "don't shoot the messenger". I will also set up a separate phone line and voicemail service for this. as I really need to eliminate the frustrations of talking to some tenants directly. They always just tell me what I want to hear and never follow through. It's time for me to tighten up operations and follow my leases 100% for little bending.

that said what type of entity would this be? here is my portfolio. I have a total of 7 investment properties and 2 LLC. one of my 7 units is run through it's own LLC and a few of my other properties are run through a separate LLC and a couple are just in my name as the rules tightened up in my area (update NY) and it is difficult to get financing under an LLC and if I transfer the deed I'm told the bank with call the note due in full and it's fraud. Thus, eliminating any protection the LLC gave in the first place. correct me if this is wrong.

right now all rent checks are made to the LLC's and/or myself for properties that are under my name. now I'll want all checks made to the Property Management Company...... how do I connect the LLC and mgmn company? or is that redundant? sorry this probably seems like a stupid question but I really am clueless here. I didn't plan on obtaining this many properties it just kind of happened. however, I want to keep growing, streamline operations and make sure I'm doing it right.

any input would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

Dave from NY

0Reply
17 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Leominster, MA · Member since 2011 · 1k+ posts · 589 votes
    11y

    Surprise! You can set up a management company and set up all the LLCs you want but unless you stop answering the phone you will still get the same stories from your tenants. If you cant enforce your leases now what makes you think you can when they call a different phone number? I think you need to decide whether or not you want to be a landlord or simply hire it out and pay 10% of your rents to somebody else. Its not an easy business. Good luck. 

  • Investor · Dyersburg, TN · Member since 2015 · 320 posts · 100 votes
    11y

    One question one of my past employers asked me was this...Are you fair or consistent?  Stick with consistent, and you won't be taken for a ride.  It doesn't matter if you are the property mgt company, or the owner, if rent is due, its due, if they need extra time to pay, that costs extra.  As long as you keep it professional, upfront, honest and to the point you will be fine.  

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.