Seeking an Accountant with extensive landlord tax experience

Seeking an Accountant with extensive landlord tax experience

Investor · Waukesha, WI · Member since 2015 · 23 posts · 2 votes

Hello!

I'm seeking an Accountant with extensive landlord tax experience.

I've been doing my taxes myself forever and after some recent conversations with other landlords I'm pretty sure I've been missing some deductions, and doing some depreciation wrong.

I'd like to sit down with someone to discuss my situation and possibly have them amend a few years back.  I'd also like to use a professional for future returns, not just seeking advice.

A referral for anyone in the Milwaukee / Brookfield / Waukesha area would be great!

Thanks!

1Reply
17 views

Most Popular Reply

Accountant, Enrolled Agent · Grayslake, IL · Member since 2011 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
10y

Hi from just over the IL border.

As for an accountant do not feel like you need to use someone local. Many of us accountants have clients worldwide. Payroll, bookkeeping, etc can mostly be done remotely.

Here is a great list of questions to ask a potential accountant:http://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/51/topics/70447-questions-to-ask-a-cpa

Also check out the www.NAEA.org page in your search. It should help you find someone local. If someone comes to me, I'll send them your way.

If you need help in your search or want to verify something don't hesitate to ask.

For example: I have clients worldwide and things are just as easy as I e-mail them, talking on the phone. I even use Skype and TeamViewer to communicate with clients so I'd highly recommend looking for one of the best with great references that interviews well with you.

So look for someone you can connect with that works out for your situation.

Feel free to ask here if you have questions.

See this reply in the discussion

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Accountant, Enrolled Agent · Grayslake, IL · Member since 2011 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    10y

    Hi from just over the IL border.

    As for an accountant do not feel like you need to use someone local. Many of us accountants have clients worldwide. Payroll, bookkeeping, etc can mostly be done remotely.

    Here is a great list of questions to ask a potential accountant:http://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/51/topics/70447-questions-to-ask-a-cpa

    Also check out the www.NAEA.org page in your search. It should help you find someone local. If someone comes to me, I'll send them your way.

    If you need help in your search or want to verify something don't hesitate to ask.

    For example: I have clients worldwide and things are just as easy as I e-mail them, talking on the phone. I even use Skype and TeamViewer to communicate with clients so I'd highly recommend looking for one of the best with great references that interviews well with you.

    So look for someone you can connect with that works out for your situation.

    Feel free to ask here if you have questions.

  • Accountant, Enrolled Agent · Grayslake, IL · Member since 2011 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    10y

    No advertisements are allowed in the forum. You may post general information; however, you cannot solicit on these pages.

  • Lender · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2014 · 119 posts · 62 votes
    10y

    Hi Brian--

    I've got a great accountant who is in Mequon.  He's done a great job for me for five years now.  Send me a message if you would like his info.

  • CPA · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    10y

    @Brian Tennies

    As @Steven Hamilton II said, don't feel like you have to rely on a local accountant. By going non-local, you will expose yourself to a wider pool of expertise which is critical for real estate investors.

    Many of us service clients all over the US and even world. We utilize various forms of technology to collaborate seamlessly with our clients and rarely have issues.

    If you are set on using someone local, search the BP forums for investors local to you and reach out to ask for a referral. Or join a local FaceBook/ REIA group.

    Hope this helps!

  • Investor · Waukesha, WI · Member since 2015 · 23 posts · 2 votes
    10y

    Thank you all for your replies to this post!

    Its been very helpful and I feel I'm on the right track now... Nervous to see how wrong I've been doing my taxes, but glad they are going to be reviewed.

    Have a great day!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.