How Do I Find a Good RE CPA for Taxes?

How Do I Find a Good RE CPA for Taxes?

Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2015 · 12 posts · 12 votes

Hello -

First time investor here with a somewhat complicated tax situation (well, complicated to me anyway, lol).  

I am the primary investor / money-man, just started my investments in September 2015, and my rental properties are being managed by 2 separate managing partners in Wisconsin, while I reside in Illinois and have a full time job in an unrelated industry.  

Both rental business partnerships are under LLC's, and the LLC's are pass-through entities for tax purposes. I received a 1099-Misc from one partnership, reporting the net rental income received for 2015. I received no income from the other partnership, as it is not yet profitable. I have also received my W2 from my day job. No other investment income of any sort (besides a puny bank account interest).

My main need right now is someone to help me file my personal taxes and make sure I've reported everything correctly, taken all deductions I'm entitled to, and offer tax guidance for the future.  So, I'd like to find a good CPA to work with long term.  Does he need to be local to my area?  Are the local tax chains (H&R Block, Hewitt Jackson) good enough?  What about online resources like TurboTax?

Would appreciate any advice and references.  If you are an available CPA yourself, please message me with contact info and rates.  I have all my financial documents in order and am looking to file my taxes before April 18, 2015, of course.

Thank you very much,

Dave

0Reply
23 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Agent/Investor · Clarkston, MI · Member since 2013 · 156 posts · 34 votes
10y
This is a great first step. Get referrals from people who are where you want to be. I have vast majority of my team from referrals. They are people I trust who use them and refer them. I wouldn't worry about rates as much as I would performance of the CPA (or any business partner.) Good ones (any vendor) are worth their weight in gold.
See this reply in the discussion

11 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent/Investor · Clarkston, MI · Member since 2013 · 156 posts · 34 votes
    10y
    This is a great first step. Get referrals from people who are where you want to be. I have vast majority of my team from referrals. They are people I trust who use them and refer them. I wouldn't worry about rates as much as I would performance of the CPA (or any business partner.) Good ones (any vendor) are worth their weight in gold.
  • Rental Property Investor · West Bend, WI · Member since 2015 · 931 posts · 598 votes
    10y

    Good Question, get referrals,  im working with a new guy, and am reading Tax Free Wealth by Tom Wheelwright (Rich Dad Advisor) when im done, I will give it to him, then when he is doen with it, we will have a meeting,  and go from there, nt sure how else to weed them out.  Good Luck.

  • CPA · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    10y

    @Dave Lion I don't know of many quality CPAs that will onboard you and file your taxes by the 18th. I'd seriously recommend filing an extension and shopping post-tax season for a CPA to work with. This shouldn't be a hasty decision for you, nor should it be a hasty decision for the CPA. 

    I do suggest finding a CPA to work with. Don't use TurboTax or HR Block. Both are effective when taxes are simple and I often refer clients to those services when they don't quite need a CPA. However, once you begin acquiring property, especially via partnerships, everything becomes much more complicated. So your concerns are justified.

    Right now is crunch time for CPAs. You may be able to find one to squeeze an initial consult, engagement letter signing, tax organizing, document transfer, and tax prep into their schedules, but I'd be really surprised. Onboarding should be slow and deliberate, just like you wouldn't partner with any investor, you shouldn't partner with any CPA.

  • Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2015 · 12 posts · 12 votes
    10y

    Thanks much for the great advice.

    Follow up question:  is it important to find a CPA who's local in my area, or is it just as well to partner with one virtually online?

    Thanks!

  • CPA · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    10y

    @Dave Lion it depends on your comfort level. I run a virtual (paperless) practice, so my clients must be comfortable working virtually. This has it's advantages - I can work with anyone, anywhere. It also has its disadvantages - I can't shake my client's hand.

    It also depends on what exactly you're looking for in a CPA. Are you looking for a generalist? Are you looking for real estate expertise? There may not be a real estate savvy CPA local to you. 

    Then you have the question of expanding your network. If you work with a non-local CPA, chances are you'll be able to tap into the CPA's non-local network. This could be priceless to you. If you work with a local CPA, you'll be tapping into a local network. Just depends on your goals.

  • Investor/Agent/CPA · Columbus, OH · Member since 2015 · 249 posts · 207 votes
    10y

    Dave, 

    I agree with Brandon above on all accounts.  I am a CPA in Columbus Ohio and our firm could assist you, however, we really do not take in new clients during the March or April timeframe; not enough time to finish.  File an extension and then shop for a good CPA or firm who could assist you.

    Thanks!

  • Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2015 · 12 posts · 12 votes
    10y

    Thanks much for all the advice.  I just e-filed my extension.

  • Podunk, WA · Member since 2015 · 109 posts · 30 votes
    10y

    Dave, there's a recent BP podcast on CPAs and taxes. Amanda Han gave some wicked good tips on being a savvy investors. You may want to check out at BP podcast 162 and 049.

  • Podunk, WA · Member since 2015 · 109 posts · 30 votes
    10y

    You may also want to check out

    by Amanda Han and Matthew MacFarland

  • Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2015 · 12 posts · 12 votes
    10y

    Thanks Tek!

  • Investor · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2015 · 74 posts · 13 votes
    10y

    My RE situation is probably a lot less complicated than yours but I used @Steven Hamilton II this year and have been very pleased so far.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.