Looking for a CPA in the Boston, Massachusetts area...

Looking for a CPA in the Boston, Massachusetts area...

Real Estate Investor · Hyde Park, MA · Member since 2016 · 2 posts · 0 votes

Hi,

I am currently building my team and I am looking for a good CPA that works with investors in the Boston area. I've been looking online but it seems like most of the CPAs I've found have no experience working with investors. Where should I look? Any help will be greatly appreciated!!!

0Reply
22 views

Most Popular Reply

Accountant, Enrolled Agent · Grayslake, IL · Member since 2011 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
10y

@Hector Morales

My advice is to find someone who is extremely knowledgeable in RE without regard to their location You definitely need someone qualified, does not have to be a CPA, could be an Enrolled Agent or an attorney. Just make sure they specialize in tax and have significant experience dealing with real estate investors.

Here is a great list of questions to ask a potential accountant:http://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/51/topics/70447-questions-to-ask-a-cpa

Also check out the www.NAEA.org page in your search. It should help you find someone local. If someone comes to me, I'll send them your way.

If you need help in your search or want to verify something don't hesitate to ask.

For example: I have clients worldwide and things are just as easy as I e-mail them, talking on the phone. I even use Skype and TeamViewer to communicate with clients so I'd highly recommend looking for one of the best with great references that interviews well with you.

So look for someone you can connect with that works out for your situation.

Feel free to ask here if you have questions. I'm always browsing here to help people.

See this reply in the discussion

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Accountant, Enrolled Agent · Grayslake, IL · Member since 2011 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    10y

    @Hector Morales

    My advice is to find someone who is extremely knowledgeable in RE without regard to their location You definitely need someone qualified, does not have to be a CPA, could be an Enrolled Agent or an attorney. Just make sure they specialize in tax and have significant experience dealing with real estate investors.

    Here is a great list of questions to ask a potential accountant:http://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/51/topics/70447-questions-to-ask-a-cpa

    Also check out the www.NAEA.org page in your search. It should help you find someone local. If someone comes to me, I'll send them your way.

    If you need help in your search or want to verify something don't hesitate to ask.

    For example: I have clients worldwide and things are just as easy as I e-mail them, talking on the phone. I even use Skype and TeamViewer to communicate with clients so I'd highly recommend looking for one of the best with great references that interviews well with you.

    So look for someone you can connect with that works out for your situation.

    Feel free to ask here if you have questions. I'm always browsing here to help people.

  • Real Estate Investor · Hyde Park, MA · Member since 2016 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    10y

    Thank you very much! This is very helpful. I will definitely look into this website, and will get the list of questions to ask. I really appreciate it!

  • Jose BrandaoPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Boston, MA · Member since 2016 · 10 posts · 8 votes
    9y
    Hi Hector Morales have you had any luck finding a CPA in the area? I am also in the Hyde Park/ Boston area and searching for a CPA to work with. Thanks.
  • Lender · Tyngsboro, MA · Member since 2009 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y

    @Hector Morales and @Jose Brandao, this question is asked repeatedly in the forums, both for MA and for other states.  You might do some searches on BP for CPA Boston, or Massachusetts CPA, etc, where you will find other people's recommendations. There are multiple threads on the topic.

    Try looking for the best accountant for your situation, instead of the closest.  My accountant is also a real estate investor and a tax attorney, but is located in Ohio.  He is very well versed in SDIRAs and the best entity structure for liability protection in your situation.  These days, no one sits down in person with their accountant, communication is by phone and electronic pdfs and spreadsheets, or your Quickbooks file, so it doesn't matter where he is geographically.  The last time I had a call with him, he was visiting Chile.  

    John will be speaking at our November Black Diamond event, you can find a link on my profile, so you'll have a chance to judge for yourself.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.