Car ran into my house

Car ran into my house

Anderson, SC · Member since 2016 · 11 posts · 0 votes
Thanksgiving morning a car ran into my brick house that was built in 1960. Before I simply "get an estimate" for Allstate, the insurance company for the vehicle that hit our home, should I get an attorney involved?
0Reply
40 views

11 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · The Woodlands, TX · Member since 2014 · 345 posts · 288 votes
    9y

    @Harry Stanley

    I had a car in one of my living rooms - in researching if I had a claim, I spoke to a few attorneys- the consensus was "Allstate, that sucks" evidently they are the most difficult insurance company to work with and fight pretty hard to not pay - so, yes- I would definitely get an attorney if I were in your shoes- in my case I decided it wasn't worth pursuing a claim because they would have a pretty good argument that it was the drug dealer (and not the driver) who was at fault for placing a bullet in the drivers head- which caused a loss of control of the vehicle - never mind the fact that the driver was speeding off after a drug ripoff

  • Anderson, SC · Member since 2016 · 11 posts · 0 votes
    9y
    So, Allstate does not do so good on car hitting houses claims?
  • Attorney · Winchester, VA · Member since 2015 · 726 posts · 387 votes
    9y

    Coverage is likely to be limited on these kinds of cases. How about your home owners insurance? Schedule a time to talk with an attorney licensed in South Carolina.

  • Investor · Pawleys Island, SC · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 837 votes
    9y

    Same thing happened to me two weeks ago.  Drunk driver, speeding through parking lot jumped the curb and drove into the master bedroom of my tenant occupied condo.  The condo association's master insurance carrier is working with the driver's insurance company to put everything back into normal operating condition.  I did not engage any lawyers, nor did I get my own insurance carrier involved.  If it appears that things are not being handled to your satisfaction, then consult an attorney

  • Rental Property Investor · Jacksonville, Florida Area · Member since 2016 · 106 posts · 48 votes
    9y

    Also be sure to get a QUALIFIED brick company to MATCH the pattern and color of your brick! My neighbors landlord had to paint his brick, because it DID NOT MATCH the color of the other brick on the home! It was same situation, a tenant hit the home with his vehicle.

  • Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2016 · 5 posts · 2 votes
    9y

    As with any large insurance company, there will be good stories about them as well as bad. With small claims such as this, it's often more about the individual adjuster than the company as a whole. 

    You don't need an attorney. I would definitely put your homeowners insurance company on notice. It's probably better to file a claim with your insurance company, let them adjust the claim, and they will go after the driver's insurance company for reimbursement (including your deductible). The driver may only be liable for damages based on Actual Cash Value (replacement cost - depreciation) while your homeowners is hopefully on Replacement Cost. 

    As Toby mentions, be sure to familiarize yourself with the insurance concept of matching if a lot of brick looks like it will need replaced. Each state has different case law on this. Google it and ask your agent about matching when you consult with him on turning the claim into your homeowners. 

  • Anderson, SC · Member since 2016 · 11 posts · 0 votes
    9y

    thanks to all who have given input. I am learning from you all and am very grateful

  • Anderson, SC · Member since 2016 · 11 posts · 0 votes
    9y
    Allstate will not send someone out. They will simply have an adjuster review the bid of a contractor that I have come out to bid the work.
  • Anderson, SC · Member since 2016 · 11 posts · 0 votes
    9y
    Thanks so much for your input and advice. 😊
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.