land value is higher than total amount paid for house

land value is higher than total amount paid for house

Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2017 · 8 posts · 1 vote

I'm trying to find out what my depreciation amount is. I just finished reading "Every Landlord's tax deduction guide." I am brand new to land lording and this will be my first time doing taxes with rental income.  I bought my house August of 2011 as a foreclosure for 85,000. I lived in the house alone until this past November I rented out half of the house to a few renters. I have always paid property taxes based on my house being worth 200,000.  Today I looked online for the first time to find what the "land value" is because I know I have to base my depreciation number on the value of the house itself and any material improvement and of course divide everything in two because I still live in half the house. My county has my land value at 90,000 and my house value at 120,000. 

My understanding is I have to use the number that I actually paid for the house plus any material improvement costs that I spent the renters unit. I have spent thousands of dollars on materials but I did 100 percent of the labor of the years. It seems like I could not even use 85 k  as my base number that I bought the house for because a percentage of that 6 years ago must have been considered land cost?

I'm guess investors must run into this issue since they are always buying houses cheaper than what the city says the house is worth.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance  

0Reply
17 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Scottsdale, AZ · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 885 votes
    9y

    Buy a copy of TurboTax and enter the numbers as they require. That will be the closest answer you will get outside of hiring a CPA.

  • Accountant · Bethesda, MD · Member since 2017 · 63 posts · 34 votes
    9y

    You have to use the lower of the adjusted basis or the FMV on the date of conversion. It sounds like the adjusted basis is lower. You are correct that of the 85k you should apportion a percentage to land. Add your improvements to that number for the home iteself for your adjusted basis. Then a portion of that number is split because you still live in part.

  • Cost Segregation Specialist · Naperville, IL · Member since 2016 · 204 posts · 168 votes
    9y

    It's proportional. $90K/$210K = 42.85% land value. so... $85K x 42.85% = $36,428 land value and $48,572 building value. So you start at $48,572 depreciable cost basis. Since only half the space is a rental you can only use half of that so $24,286 rental cost basis. It's proportional so thats only if it's split 50/50 between rental and personal. Then add the cost of all the improvements you've done since buying it. Too bad you didn't pay for the labor since you could add that into the cost of the improvements. The improvements will be proportional on how much is in the rental space and how much is in your personal space. So if you spent $10K on improvements and 60% of that went into the rental side you'd have $6K in improvements to depreciate with the rental cost basis and $4K of non depreciable improvements in your personal residence.

    Residential rental property gets depreciated over 27.5 years. Some of the improvements are tangible personal property that gets depreciated over 5 years (or 7 years for some property) and some will be considered residential rental property if they are structural components, necessary for the general maintenance and operation of the building or necessary for human comfort. Figuring out what is what is more difficult than you'd think because some stuff can go either way depending on how it was installed and what materials were used. 

    Check out IRS Publication 527 Residential Rental Property for more details. Chapter 2 is all about Depreciation of Rental Property. https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p527.pdf

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.