Sole Proprieter or LLC or INC? Quick Buy/Sell Business

Sole Proprieter or LLC or INC? Quick Buy/Sell Business

Landisville, PA · Member since 2014 · 25 posts · 4 votes

Need some advice. In the last 18 months, I've purchased 7 Properties and sold 7 Properties. This year, I believe I can scale it even further and double those numbers. I don't know what you would call it, but I guess I would be a wholesaler, as I buy very low and sell very low but still make a nice profit. I'm concerned, because, most of the properties I do not hold for 1 year (Capital Gains)? This business's entire expenses come from profit made from properties sold. I have one employee or independent contractor and may hire a second. I've been doing everything as a sole proprietor. Should I set up an LLC or INC? Which one/option will give me the greatest ability to reduce my tax liability? Thoughts? I appreciate any help you could provide.

0Reply
17 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Scottsdale, AZ · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 885 votes
    9y

    Taxes pass through in an LLC so it doesn't matter for taxes. A Corp. can be very expensive with double taxation if not careful.

    If you are truly a wholesaler, you have limited liability so a single LLC should do the trick.

    Talk to a local CPA.

  • Gorham, ME · Member since 2016 · 224 posts · 116 votes
    9y

    @Bernie D.

    Talking to a professional is key.  Since you are generating "short term" or ordinary income, an S-Corp may be a good fit for your business.  Here you would take a "reasonable" salary and split the rest into dividends which pass through to your personal return and avoid SE tax.

    The S-Corp would provide liability protection as well as long as it is properly maintained.  

    The S-corp costs a little bit to set up and maintain and generates an additional tax return each year, but I find the cost justified.

    Good luck on your journey and I hope this helps.

    Ed

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.