HELP !!! Can Tenant Sign A NEW 1-month lease ?

HELP !!! Can Tenant Sign A NEW 1-month lease ?

Pittston, PA · Member since 2017 · 36 posts · 12 votes

I have a Tenant that I inherited. Their lease is up at the end of July. I mentioned to the Tenant about signing a new 1 year lease, but they told me they are looking at other apartments and will be moving by Fall. They said they would be happy to sign a 1 month lease or even a 3 month lease, then go month to month. Is this possible??? I've never heard of signing a new lease for 1 month or even 3 months, then going month to month. Can the length terms be for whatever the Tenant and I agree upon?

Please help.

- Confused in PA

0Reply
11 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
8y

@Ryan K. I would suggest a month to month but then come October 1st they need to decide if they are moving and if not they will have to agree to sign a lease at that point until the end of January. You dont want vacancies in the winter they are too hard to fill. You can work with them but they need also to work with you.

See this reply in the discussion

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Durham, NC · Member since 2016 · 7k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    8y
    I don’t see why not
  • Orlando, FL · Member since 2018 · 4 posts · 1 vote
    8y

    You may want to check on your states short term occupancy laws. Each state has their own laws based on their short term rental occupancy laws and you could be subject to different taxes.

  • Real Estate Professional · West Palm Beach, FL · Member since 2012 · 23k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    8y
    Go month to month if you want to.
  • Colleen F.Pro Member
    Investor · Narragansett, RI · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    8y

    Yes a new month to month is fine but why don't you decide what works for you and go back to them with that. A piece of advice a  lease that end in the winter in the northeast I have not found to be the best however there are those that swear by month to month leases with required 30 or 60 days notice by either party to terminate written in the lease.

  • Investor · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    @Ryan K. I would suggest a month to month but then come October 1st they need to decide if they are moving and if not they will have to agree to sign a lease at that point until the end of January. You dont want vacancies in the winter they are too hard to fill. You can work with them but they need also to work with you.

  • Attorney · Nashville, TN · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    @Ryan K.

    Yes, you can. But as a practical matter, I agree with @Alex Deacon that you may want to be careful with doing this from a practical standpoint. No need to go nuts, but I would try to find a regular, year-long tenant as soon as you can. Finding good tenants in our area during the winter times can get tough. 

    Disclaimer: While I’m an attorney licensed to practice in PA, I’m not your attorney. What I wrote above does not create an attorney/client relationship between us. I wrote the above for informational purposes. Do not rely on it for legal advice. Always consult with your attorney before you rely on the above information.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.