• Real Estate Junkie
  • New Orleans, LA
Votes |
Criminal charges complete with fingerprints come up in title search

Kimberly Jones
  • Real Estate Junkie
  • New Orleans, LA
Posted Jul 26 2011, 14:59

I have a very unique situation with a title report on a property in Florida. Now mind you, I am not a title expert but I have seen plenty of them in my 30 years in this business and this is a first for me. I wanted to share it with others just for gp and to also see if anyone knows what it really means.
Keep in mind this title report was done because the investor is buying the Note (NPN) not the property.
Page 1-31 are normal title docs, 32 starts with a lien from the State of Florida in relation to a criminal charge and the dollar amounts are very low, all together probably 1k. Page 35 gets scary, it lists the charges against the owner, in all he was convicted on 10 counts of things like RICO, Money Laundering, cocaine trafficking. Page 36 (of the title search mind you) is the defendant/homeowners fingerprints.
I have never seen and NEVER expected to see fingerprints show up in a title search!
I have run it past a few title agents, so far everyone is looking at it with a big question mark.
The biggest red flag is, how can there be such a small dollar amount with such major criminal charges? These charges are the kind that I understand can get property seized. What might there be attached to this property that we could be missing?
I am seriously looking for anyone else who has come up against this and/or anyone who might know what we need to look out for.