Operating as a LLP, do I need to give 1099 to contractors?

Operating as a LLP, do I need to give 1099 to contractors?

Investor · Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2017 · 103 posts · 53 votes

Operating as an LLP, getting conflicting answers regarding when is it mandatory to give 1099's out. Sounds like $600 is a consistent threshold. But do I really need to give a 1099 to my plumber, lawn mowing guy etc. ? Any advice with some facts backing it up would be nice. My accountant says I should be giving 1099's but he can't point me in the direction that explains if I have to. Thanks..

0Reply
35 views

Most Popular Reply

Member since 2018 · 26 posts · 6 votes
7y

You have to issue 1099s to non-employee independent contractors that rendered services to your entity and were paid $600 or more during the year. If the recipient is a corporation, no 1099 is required. If the payment is made by credit card, no 1099 is required as well.  

See this reply in the discussion

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · San Francisco, CA · Member since 2015 · 302 posts · 206 votes
    7y

    The way I've been told and the way I do it is I give a 1099 if they are an unlicensed contractor and the work exceeds $700.  

    If they are licensed then you don't have to. 

  • Member since 2018 · 26 posts · 6 votes
    7y

    You have to issue 1099s to non-employee independent contractors that rendered services to your entity and were paid $600 or more during the year. If the recipient is a corporation, no 1099 is required. If the payment is made by credit card, no 1099 is required as well.  

  • Investor · San Francisco, CA · Member since 2015 · 302 posts · 206 votes
    7y

    that's right, listen to Sharon. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.