write off loan against car to buy rental?

write off loan against car to buy rental?

Marietta, GA · Member since 2013 · 202 posts · 118 votes

I am looking to buy a rental house all cash. Purchase price to be between 20 to 30K inc repairs.

To fund this I am refinancing a car I own free and clear now for $30K.

Is there any way I can write the loan off?

If so what steps must I do to qualify?

0Reply
11 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Accountant · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    @Kevin Auyong

    Generally speaking yes, it would be tax deductible.  Under the interest tracing regs, you look to what the loan disbursements were used for to determine deductiblity.

    Good conversation to have with your tax CPA/EA.

  • Marietta, GA · Member since 2013 · 202 posts · 118 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Eamonn McElroy:

    @Kevin Auyong

    Generally speaking yes, it would be tax deductible.  Under the interest tracing regs, you look to what the loan disbursements were used for to determine deductiblity.

    Good conversation to have with your tax CPA/EA.

     Thanks. It makes sense and I will keep records of where funds go and how they were dispersed. My cpa answered an email I sent to her, but I wasn’t sure I understood her .

    She said

    “As far as taking out a loan to finance another rental property, I’d expect it is much the same whether it is a personal loan or secured by your car.”

    I wasn’t sure if she meant that a personal loan was tax deductible or not.

  • Accountant · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    @Kevin Auyong

    It's hard to divine her meaning based on that sentence alone.  I suggest you clarify with her.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.