Tax issues in Hard Money Lending

Tax issues in Hard Money Lending

Denver, CO · Member since 2011 · 1 post · 0 votes

Hi Guys,

Brand new here, with a question:

Can hard money lending be considered a small business, where expenses can be deducted -- just like any other business? I thought this was a given until I started reading about "passive income" and "material participation" I have been keeping track of my expenses (such as traveling to inspect properties, ensuring work is done, education, wiring fees, Title Company visits, paying my minor daughter to do some research for me, etc.). But now I wondering whether I can actually treat this hard money lending activity as a small business. I would like to benefit from some of the tax saving advantages of having small business (self employed 401k, etc.) Can it still be done? What are the limitations or gotchas?

My Scenario: This year, I have made 2 loans. the first with some cash in a savings account, $35k, in June (12% interest paid monthly), the second in August for $65k @14%, interest and loan payable in Feb 2012. This was cash pulled out from a home refinance. Total I have presently invested is $100k for 2011. If things continue to go well, I hope to put another $100k to use in 2012. Just want to make sure I do it right. Presently, I am a sole proprietor.

I would really appreciate any direction from anyone who has been in the same situation -- or knows someone who has. If this topic has already been discussed, please point me there!

Thanks, guys. Love the BP forum, but have been a lurker until now. When I got conflicting replies from 2 CPAs, I decided to register on BP and ask the question here. I know I won't be disappointed.

Warm Regards,

Fern

0Reply
260 views

Most Popular Reply

Accountant, Enrolled Agent · Grayslake, IL · Member since 2011 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
14y

Fern,

I am the accountant. I represent individuals and businesses before the IRS.

Yes, hard money lending may be considered a small business. Usually you could consider the income to just be interest income; however, more often I've had many clients set up an LLC taxed as an S-corp the profits will be ordinary income to the business. This may be done very easily to offer yourself benefits in such a way.

Fern, you may read my posts everywhere on here. I can assist your here and answer any questions you may have regarding the business. This also has no effect on how you are attaining the money (through your equity line or through work).

-Steven the Tax Guy

Your guide to IRS laws, rules, and regulations.

See this reply in the discussion

31 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Accountant, Enrolled Agent · Grayslake, IL · Member since 2011 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    8y

    It would only be a loss to the extent of capital. Otherwise returned back to you. Deducted as a bad debt only after you have pursued all legal remedies.

  • Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2019 · 7 posts · 3 votes
    5y

    @Steven Hamilton II

    Hi all, I am also just catching up on this thread. I spoke with a local accountant and was informed that HML is not considered "business of lending" because individuals aren't comparable to the banks.

    I was asking about setting the business up as a sole proprietor. I am also currently a W2 employee. I actively lend (HML) on about a dozen properties and hoping for some additional insight as to what determines "business of lending" on this scale. Has anyone filed taxes as a sole proprietor based on HML activities? It sounds like the responses on this thread says it can be done. What would the code be on line B of schedule C for this type of business set up?

  • Accountant, Enrolled Agent · Grayslake, IL · Member since 2011 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    5y

    @Anna N.  That actually depends upon the full situation. Most accountants don't actually have a clue as to reading and defending per tax law and court cases. The average person would not qualify as a business. There have been several court cases and summary judgements on this topic. Facts and Circumstances will determine the outcome in every case. 

  • Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2019 · 7 posts · 3 votes
    5y

    @Steven Hamilton II

    Hi Steven, thank you for responding! I've read a few of your posts :)

    Can you clarify what is meant by "The average person would not qualify as a business."? Does this mean it is unlikely that HML activities from an individual qualify for using a schedule C (under sole proprietorship)? I would love some clarity/advice on which direction I could go on this. Thank you.

  • Accountant, Enrolled Agent · Grayslake, IL · Member since 2011 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    5y

    @Anna N.  No, I can't . It goes well beyond an explanation that can be given in a forum here without facts and circumstances detailed out. ANd even if you fit a perfect fact pattern, it can be challenged and it is up to you to have the fight to argue it. I've seen different situations work very well and others that didn't based upon how they operated etc.  The true answer is, it depends, there is plenty of case law that can be reviewed on this. 

  • Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2019 · 7 posts · 3 votes
    5y

    @Steven Hamilton II

    Thank you again for the taking to time to answer my question and your feedback! :)

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.