Tax, SDIRAs & Cost Segregation

User Stats

Votes
Andrew Powers
Votes |
Defining primary residence for purpose of using a VA loan

Andrew Powers
Posted Jul 17 2019, 10:13

I am in the military and purchased my first home using a VA loan. I understand the purpose of a VA loan is for the eligible borrower to use the purchased property as his/her primary residence. I did find a blurb on the va website that defined primary residence as the place you live for at least 6 months and 1 day out of the year. I can understand how this would make renting a primary residence implausible, but I'm curious about using something like Airbnb. I feel like I could make the argument that I am living in a home for 6 months and 1 day out of the year and renting it out on Airbnb for the rest of the time. However, in my area, I feel like it might be difficult to cover all expenses and make a profit comparable to a rental property in just shy of 6 months of Airbnb renting. Would renting on Airbnb for more than 6 months in fact remove the primary residence classification?

This is most likely a question I will pose to a VA authority or local lawyer as well, but I'm just curious if anyone has any experience in this area. If not Airbnb, are there other legitimate ways to use a VA loan to invest in real estate without converting your previous properties into conventional mortgages?

Loading replies...