How to determine UK building value for US tax depreciation

How to determine UK building value for US tax depreciation

Rochester, MN · Member since 2012 · 2 posts · 1 vote

I am submitting my US tax return for 2011 & I have a house in the UK which I am renting out. As part of my return I need to enter the % of the building is worth versus the land for deprecation purposes.
The person helping with my return suggestes 80% building versus 20% land which I assume is some standard % in the US?
Anyway I'm not sure how to dertermine this for a house in the UK, but looking at my mortgage valuation I believe its more like 42% building verses 58% land.
So I would assume I should really go with the mortgage valuation as its probably more realistic, but what are the tax implications here?
I don't know the correct terminology here, but I assume I will be able to claim less loss back against the amount of tax on my earnings, but when I come to sell the house, the cost basis of the house will be higher meaning I will pay less tax on any capital gains.
Would apprechiate any advice - especially from those who have submitted a return that inclued a UK rental property.
Thanks :-)

0Reply
16 views

Most Popular Reply

Property Manager · Dublin, OH · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 291 votes
14y

Bill Gulley,
Work for a UK company here in Germany.
About John I dont know here in BP and he is inactive on other forum since 07/2011.

-Uwe

See this reply in the discussion

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Lyons, CO · Member since 2011 · 57 posts · 1 vote
    14y

    Did you try: http://www.landregistry.gov.uk/public

  • Investor, Entrepreneur, Educator · Springfield, MO · Member since 2009 · 21k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    14y

    You might contact John Carey in London I think he's an old member here.

    I'd tend to agree with your assessment, they stopped making land in the UK a long time ago and many buildings are sitting on property worth much more than the improvements....as usual it depends on location.

    I couldn'tcatch the link above, but I'd think some phone calls in the local area, brokers and assessors/appraisers will get you close enough for government work......lol

  • Property Manager · Dublin, OH · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 291 votes
    14y

    Bill Gulley,
    John Corey was on the other real estate forum a top member but not here.

    -Uwe

  • Investor, Entrepreneur, Educator · Springfield, MO · Member since 2009 · 21k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    14y

    @John Corey, hmmm, LOL

    Uwe, yes I know which site, but I was sure he had posted here a couple years ago, but he's inactive....

    Uwe S. what's your take on the UK, aren't you still in Gy? Good to see ya back.....

  • Property Manager · Dublin, OH · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 291 votes
    14y

    Bill Gulley,
    Work for a UK company here in Germany.
    About John I dont know here in BP and he is inactive on other forum since 07/2011.

    -Uwe

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.