Taxes Selling After Cash Out Refinance

Taxes Selling After Cash Out Refinance

Rental Property Investor · Abilene, TX · Member since 2018 · 26 posts · 11 votes

I bought this property for 80,000. It appraised for 171,000 and I took out 137,000 and paid off the 80,000 mortgage and kept the rest to reinvest (57,000). I was wondering if I sold the property for 185,000 if I would end up paying taxes on the 185,000 less the 80,000 or 185,000 less the refinanced mortgage of 137,000. Any input would be appreciated. I am waiting to hear back from my CPA and understand all advice I get is just individual input. However, I am curious to hear what y'all have to say about it.

0Reply
6 views

1 Reply

Jump to latestLatest
  • Natalie KolodijBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Tax Strategist| National Tax Educator| Accepting New Clients · Member since 2014 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    7y

    The amount of loan of a property has no impacton your capital gains. 

    Cash received at closing =/= taable gain. 

    You sell for $185,000 - you will be taxed on $105,000 of gain. Your basis is $80,000 . ($185k-80k)  (There will be some adjustments for depreciation taken, selling costs, improvements ect) 

    Then at closing if you sell for $185,000, the loan of $137,000 will be paid off. And you'll receive $50,000. 

    So

    $105k taxable gain

    $50k cash at closing 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.