Can I release a rental Paypal invoice as a private citizen?

Can I release a rental Paypal invoice as a private citizen?

Gainesville, FL · Member since 2018 · 16 posts · 0 votes

Hi, i am a salaried employee, and I just rent 2 rooms in my homesteaded house in Florida just to help paying the loan. One room is vacant right now, and I was contacted by a business man from a non-american famous company, who would like to book my place, but the only way for him to do so is by using his business credit card. I dont wanna use airbnb cause I am gonna be charged 5% and he gets charged $1000 (it is a 3 month stay). I saw that i can create a Paypal invoice, that can be emailed to the custumer with a link to pay with credit card (no need for the customer to have Paypal). There is a 3% fee which is not too bad, and he can pay that he said. The question is: Can I release a rental Paypal invoice as a private citizen? Wikipedia says an invoice may contain a tax number and that "The US Defense Logistics Agency requires an employer identification number". But then I see other website that EIN is not mandatory. I am breaking any Law by releasing a Paypal invoice with no EIN and no tax number of seller, only my name and adddress? If yes, which are the risks/consequences?

Thank you

Alby

0Reply
17 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Central, FL · Member since 2016 · 950 posts · 821 votes
    6y

    You can send them a invoice via PayPal.  Though I’d require them to do it as friends and family, so they have no recourse thru PayPal.  

    Honestly I’d be looking for a different payment system to get paid.  Cozy, Zelle or Venmo.  

    Basically look for something that he can’t live with you for 3 months and than dispute the charges and you be out of luck.  

  • Gainesville, FL · Member since 2018 · 16 posts · 0 votes
    6y

    Thank you for your suggestions, very appreciated. However, I said non-American (Australian) and I said that they can only pay with their business credit card. That is not possible with Cozy, Zelle or Venmo, which are for US only. They also said they need an invoice, although I think that any piece of paper/receipt that looks like an invoice is fine from what I understood. I don't think he will ever dispute the charges, Paypal invoice is very clear and I think it could be taken to court. Clearly Paypal has records of the transfer. I am just worried: can I legally do that as a private citizen with no tax ID? Tax ID is optional on Paypal, I have a non-business Paypal account. I was born in Europe, in a country where it is illegal to issue invoices unless you have a tax number. Also, what exactly do you mean by "Though I’d require them to do it as friends and family, so they have no recourse thru PayPal". I see no option that says: "invoice for friends". You can see how invoices are by clicking on "more" on the Paypal summary page and then click "create an invoice". I think it is a great way to be paid by people that can only pay by credit card, especially foreigners and to avoid crazy Airbnb fees. Thanks to my job, I have a network of American and international persons who are coming to town for work and are looking for accommodation. By word of mouth, many people know of my beautifully furnished pool house and I receive requests to book my place by email (most of the time I personally know a person that works with them so everything is super safe, they are in our working network, if not I always call the company to make sure it is not scam). Please advise on the legal side of issuing an invoice. Can IRS complain about anything as long as I file taxes correctly?

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.