Contractor threatening legal action after 30% increase in cost

Contractor threatening legal action after 30% increase in cost

Chicago, IL · Member since 2018 · 14 posts · 8 votes

Hi all,

Hoping to get some guidance on dealing with a contractor that completely a kitchen remodel for me last year. I found this contractor online, and we agreed upon a full remodel price via email – we never signed any contract – the work was completed, but he came back almost two months after the work was done with a new invoice showing a 30% increase in cost. I’ve been emailing him back and forth since August (he’s slow to respond) and isn’t budging on any of the items. He’s demanding I pay and now threatening legal action.

I am hoping that because a) we never had a signed agreement and b) he never discussed these ‘new charges’ with me in person until after the work was done, and its now a c) he said-she said type situation, if this went to court they would rule in my favor.

For those of you that want the full story, here it is:

In January of 2019, I received my initial estimate from this contractor. After discussing some items via email, we agreed upon a price in March, and the work began in April. As part of this kitchen remodel, there are three items that an issue:

1. An electrical outlet that was behind the sink in a raised box was supposed to be split into two outlets, one on each side of the sink, recessed behind the backsplash.
2. A window that had a large sill was to be trimmed out (to match another window).
3. Toe-kicks would be installed on all cabinets (more on this later).

    While the work was being done, I would regularly inspect the work at the end of the day. I found two items that needed to be fixed:

    1. The electrical outlet that was moved to the left of the sink was installed horizontally, where as the other outlet to the right was vertical, as was another outlet they moved farther along the countertops. Wanting everything to be uniform, I requested that the outlet be aligned with the others so it was vertical as well.
    2. The newly installed window trim did not line up with the newly installed jamb on the bottom of the window. I requested that they fix it so that the jamb, window trim, and countertops were all even with each other (perfectly horizontal).

      Both items I brought to the attention of the worker completing the work, as he was there every day, whereas the contractor himself came infrequently. I was told that both wouldn’t be a problem, and both items were fixed the following days.

      During the course of the work, I had additional potential work I had this contractor scope out, for which he sent me a separate email with those estimates and I ultimately decided not to proceed with that work.

      I paid my contractor throughout the period the work was completed (always within a day of him requesting payment), and the work finally was completed in May. I figured everything was good to go, until 2 months later I get a new invoice from him that is 30% higher than the original invoice. It includes three new items:

      • An electrical charge that includes ‘rotating outlet to match additional outlets’ as well as other items.
      • A windows charge for installing casing around the windows, and framing the inside of the window. Part of this cost is because they had to ‘level out the jamb’
      • A charge to install a ‘custom toe kick’ along with painting it – basically my floors are crooked and there was a larger gap in one area that needed a larger toe kick.

      I responded back, and he takes a while to respond – on average its 3-4 weeks before I get a response from him. He refuses to budge on any of the items, and instead of responding to most of my concerns just reiterates the same points. In my most recent email, I provided him a photo showing that the a window sill was present prior to their work – proof that the jamb was their installation – and therefore I don’t see why I should have to pay for that work. I also showed him photos of the toe kick area where he supposedly went out and got new materials but the ‘custom’ toe kick is only in one area – this is because they used materials I provided (we had a damaged cabinet) where they just cut it to size and put in place. After he saw this photo, he’s suddenly changed his tune to ‘oh well we started with our materials and then you had us replace it’ which is wrong.

      Despite our back and forth, everything has been civil until his most recent email, where he’s stated that his worker who did the work will testify that they used their own materials on the toe kick (a lie), that he is tracking time it takes him to respond to these emails and will charge me for said time. He ended with that he will not respond to any points further and that he will take me to court, and then try to charge me for his time and his administrative person’s time (who I know does not exist, given it takes him 3+ weeks to respond to emails and there has never been anyone but him).

      TL;DR: I had an agree up price to remodel my kitchen with a contractor but never signed any contract, during the work I noticed a few items that did not meet standards that I requested they fix, and then nearly a month after the work was completed, I received a new estimate with a 30% increase in cost. I’ve been emailing back and forth with said contractor since August (he’s very slow to respond), and most recently threatened legal action if I did not pay.

      As previously stated, I am hoping that because a) we never had a signed agreement and b) he never discussed these ‘new charges’ with me in person until long after the work was done, and its now a c) he said-she said type situation, if this went to court they would rule in my favor. What is the general consensus of the experts here – I’m sure many of you have dealt with shady contractors like this. 

      0Reply
      36 views

      Most Popular Reply

      Contractor · Evansville, IN · Member since 2019 · 142 posts · 208 votes
      6y

      @Daniel Adler

      You wouldn't be the first person to not pay a contractor. Dont sweat it, it can be a monster pain in the but for us contractors to get paid.

      No contract, no money. Call his bluff. What's he gonna do, lien a property you have no intention to sell? His next step would be to get a judgement, but again he is suing your company that hires him (not you). And when (if) he does win his judgement, he then has to take even more steps to garnish wages/seize assets/foreclose the lien/etc...

      In short, this guy is gonna have to take YEARS to actually force you to pay. So the real question is: do you have a conscience? Most people dont, and will gladly just not pay up for whatever reason.

      See this reply in the discussion

      20 Replies

      Jump to latestLatest
      • Contractor · Evansville, IN · Member since 2019 · 142 posts · 208 votes
        6y

        @Daniel Adler

        You wouldn't be the first person to not pay a contractor. Dont sweat it, it can be a monster pain in the but for us contractors to get paid.

        No contract, no money. Call his bluff. What's he gonna do, lien a property you have no intention to sell? His next step would be to get a judgement, but again he is suing your company that hires him (not you). And when (if) he does win his judgement, he then has to take even more steps to garnish wages/seize assets/foreclose the lien/etc...

        In short, this guy is gonna have to take YEARS to actually force you to pay. So the real question is: do you have a conscience? Most people dont, and will gladly just not pay up for whatever reason.

      • Clint CoonsPro Member
        Attorney · WA · Member since 2020 · 43 posts · 59 votes
        6y

        How much money are you talking about?  I agree with Bill that most of these are just shakedowns by contractors looking to intimidate homeowners. The contractor is probably outside of his ability to lien your property, so he can't tie up your equity, which leaves bringing a lawsuit - possibly small claims.  Doubt it will go any further than threatening emails.  

      • Chicago, IL · Member since 2018 · 14 posts · 8 votes
        6y

        The amount isn't that large - under 3k in remaining that we're arguing about. But I hired him directly, so there isn't a company/LLC to shield me. I've paid him, in full, for our original agree-upon amount; I've also agreed to pay him for some of the additional items that he added (i.e. I asked them to move a different electrical outlet that we never discussed).

        What irritates me is his dishonesty; for example, charging me $1k in materials, but I priced out all of the materials myself and it barely exceeds $300.

        I'm fine going to court and representing myself - I'm trying to figure out that if it came to that point, if I'd have a winning case or not. Thanks for the responses thus far.

      • Brian BoydPro Member
        USA · Member since 2019 · 305 posts · 536 votes
        6y

        If there is no contract then you likely dont have to pay him. Moreover, demanding more money after final payment is just BS. Tell him to take you to court, he has to hire a lawyer if he has a company and that will cost him money that he cannot get back because without a contract he likely doesn't have a way to recover attorney's fees. Also, you might want to check on his license. He may not actually have a license and in that case he can't collect anything and could be subject to sanctions imposed by your state for contracting without the proper license.

      • Joseph CacciapagliaBusiness Member
        Lender · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2020 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
        6y

        You should look into your consumer protection laws, specifically related to contractors, in your state. I've worked in several states (not yours), where there are very strong protections against this sort of thing. It's possible that he could end up owing you 3 times the amount he's trying to collect, if he's violating them (if you have similar protections). A lot of contractors are aware of these laws, and the mere mention of them will get them to go away. However, I think the best practice here is to contact an attorney. Many will give you a free consultation on this issue, which will at least give you a good idea where you stand.

        Joseph Cacciapaglia powered by Morty
      • Investor · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
        6y

        Time for guidance has passed. The guidance would have been to have a detailed written contract. Instead you have both proceeded without one, and now here you both are. Good luck with that.

        WI has home improvement contractor statutes. Maybe IL does too. You could look into that to see where you might stand. From the story you told, I don't think you have as much "favor" as you think you do. Then again, courts rule in ways that might not seem obvious to simpletons like me all the time.

        Cases in point.

        #1 - Do you even know what a window sill is? The reason I question that is because you stated:

        "A window that had a large sill was to be trimmed out (to match another window)."

        and then later,

        "I provided him a photo showing that the a window sill was present prior to their work – proof that the jamb was their installation"

        Those two statements pretty much show you don't know what your saying. Aside from that, your story says there was an existing window with a large sill that didn't match others in the house and you wanted the one window re-trimmed to match the other. After they re-trimmed it, not complaining that it didn't match the other, you instead complained that the trim did not align with the counter. The question is then, did it ever??? And if the trim could not be fudged to make it look right (assuming they did their best), do you have any idea of what would be needed to make it right? We are not talking about a small amount of work. At the very least the entire window comes out and gets realigned, which means the exterior window trim comes off and back on again too. And only if your lucky, will the window have simply been installed crooked or has settled and the rough framing will accommodate the the realignment. If your not so lucky, the rough framing would need to be adjusted too. And really, bad framing would explain a crooked window installation the first time around. Again, do you have any idea what a massive can of worms your dissatisfaction has triggered??? LOL. I'd wager the only reason you even noticed was because of the close proximity to the counter and the fact that you happen to be focusing on it at the time. I'll bet you a round of beers that the rest of the windows in that house are not perfectly aligned with the floors or ceilings or are perfectly level and plumb or square within the opening - you just don't take notice because they are alone by themselves in the wall, finish carpenters are magical wizards who make stuff that aint right look good all day long and finally, you're just not looking for it. All that said, sometimes stuff just isn't going to be right ever - it's carpentry, not machinery. And finally to my initial point, the jam goes in before the sill, so your statements "prove" nothing other than your lack of understanding my friend.

        #2 - If the contractor installed a new electrical box horizontally instead of vertically, they had better have a reason for that, which maybe there was a reason but if not, they should fix that free of charge, because boxes are always installed vertically, unless that's not possible or if the design is atypical - it's not contractors choice on that score.

        #3 - As far as the toe kick...OMG...it's toe kick. It's not terribly expensive nor is it difficult to install. I find it amusing/strange any argument has arisen over it whatsoever. Though, you did mention your floors are crooked. I wonder, did you expect the toe kick to hide or fix that?

        So to conclude my friend, I think there is always two sides of every story, and it sounds to me like there is room to point fingers all around, starting with the fact that both of you ought to have had a detailed and written contract and much better communication throughout the process, for the exact reason of avoiding the mess you are both in now. How to clean up the mess??? I dunno. Don't make one is all I got.

        I prefer time and materials contracts myself. That way in a world of worms, it comes out fair for both parties. Neither party has to play games with the other. It takes as long as it takes and costs as much as it costs. But most people can't have it that way, they want their firm price and free bid and on the other end they pad the bid to account for worms and free bids.

        Anywhos...I hope it all works out. Better luck next time.

      • Chicago, IL · Member since 2018 · 14 posts · 8 votes
        6y
        Originally posted by @Account Closed:

        #1 - Do you even know what a window sill is? The reason I question that is because you stated:

        "A window that had a large sill was to be trimmed out (to match another window)."

        and then later,

        "I provided him a photo showing that the a window sill was present prior to their work – proof that the jamb was their installation"

        Those two statements pretty much show you don't know what your saying. Aside from that, your story says there was an existing window with a large sill that didn't match others in the house and you wanted the one window re-trimmed to match the other. After they re-trimmed it, not complaining that it didn't match the other, you instead complained that the trim did not align with the counter. The question is then, did it ever??? And if the trim could not be fudged to make it look right (assuming they did their best), do you have any idea of what would be needed to make it right? We are not talking about a small amount of work. 

        #3 - As far as the toe kick...OMG...it's toe kick. It's not terribly expensive nor is it difficult to install. I find it amusing/strange any argument has arisen over it whatsoever. Though, you did mention your floors are crooked. I wonder, did you expect the toe kick to hide or fix that?

        Thanks for your response - was hoping to get a contractor's perspective on this as well. I am, by no means a construction expert, but I still do think my comments were accurate - just maybe not well explained. I'll use this photo as a reference for what I'm talking about. The window in question had a sill, head jamb, and the side jambs already in place (no trim/casing). The window on the other side of the fridge had jambs all around, with no casing. They replaced the sill with a jamb so that casing could go all around it. The casing is barely half an inch off the countertops, so it would look bad it it wasn't level with it. But, when they installed the jamb, it was at angle (likely, as you pointed out, because the window itself was not perfectly level). I watched him make the repair - jamb was removed, shims went in to level it, and then the jamb went back in, now level countertop and casing that he put in afterwards.

        As for the toe kick, we needed a larger one because my floors slope towards the center of the home (100 year old house that had structural repairs completed two years ago). Because the cabinets need to all be level for the countertops, in one area, they had to jack up the cabinets almost 1.5 inches so everything was level. The larger trim was used so that you wouldn't see the top of it and into the lower cabinets. I agree this isn't a big deal, but he's trying to charge me nearly $200 for a 2 foot piece.

      • Investor · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
        6y
        Originally posted by @Daniel Adler:
        Originally posted by @Account Closed:

        #1 - Do you even know what a window sill is? The reason I question that is because you stated:

        "A window that had a large sill was to be trimmed out (to match another window)."

        and then later,

        "I provided him a photo showing that the a window sill was present prior to their work – proof that the jamb was their installation"

        Those two statements pretty much show you don't know what your saying. Aside from that, your story says there was an existing window with a large sill that didn't match others in the house and you wanted the one window re-trimmed to match the other. After they re-trimmed it, not complaining that it didn't match the other, you instead complained that the trim did not align with the counter. The question is then, did it ever??? And if the trim could not be fudged to make it look right (assuming they did their best), do you have any idea of what would be needed to make it right? We are not talking about a small amount of work. 

        #3 - As far as the toe kick...OMG...it's toe kick. It's not terribly expensive nor is it difficult to install. I find it amusing/strange any argument has arisen over it whatsoever. Though, you did mention your floors are crooked. I wonder, did you expect the toe kick to hide or fix that?

        Thanks for your response - was hoping to get a contractor's perspective on this as well. I am, by no means a construction expert, but I still do think my comments were accurate - just maybe not well explained. I'll use this photo as a reference for what I'm talking about. The window in question had a sill, head jamb, and the side jambs already in place (no trim/casing). The window on the other side of the fridge had jambs all around, with no casing. They replaced the sill with a jamb so that casing could go all around it. The casing is barely half an inch off the countertops, so it would look bad it it wasn't level with it. But, when they installed the jamb, it was at angle (likely, as you pointed out, because the window itself was not perfectly level). I watched him make the repair - jamb was removed, shims went in to level it, and then the jamb went back in, now level countertop and casing that he put in afterwards.

        As for the toe kick, we needed a larger one because my floors slope towards the center of the home (100 year old house that had structural repairs completed two years ago). Because the cabinets need to all be level for the countertops, in one area, they had to jack up the cabinets almost 1.5 inches so everything was level. The larger trim was used so that you wouldn't see the top of it and into the lower cabinets. I agree this isn't a big deal, but he's trying to charge me nearly $200 for a 2 foot piece.

         Well, I'm glad you didn't get too upset with me - I like to play the other side on the internet sometimes. It's my roundabout way of being helpful - lol. Like I said, there are always more sides to the story and what I was really attempting to illustrate is how when this thing ends up in court it very well might end up going sideways from how you want it to! Therefore, you will want to at least have your ducks in a row. It sounds like you do.

        The good news is that you got your job done and it sounds like the work is finally done right. That's a step better than some outcomes with this stuff. Now you just need to settle the bill. I dunno. If it's a couple hundred, I'd pay it and just not use the guy again, not that you likely would anyways. If it's a couple thousand, then maybe continue to attempt to work it out and if you can't, let him make the move. The worst that will happen is you get to court and end up paying it. Absent of a contract, I find it hard to believe you'll get stuck with any legal fees, especially if you can prove you made good faith attempts to work it out in the absence of a contract. And, seeing as there is no contract and clearly there are some misunderstandings due to poor communications, you might get a judgement that favors you more than them, or maybe something more towards the middle? But as always, these things come down to local laws so, maybe check with someone in your area who knows what the deal is. In WI, a home improvement contractor is required to provide a detailed contract and if not, they face fines from the state separate from any civil case between the parties. Maybe IL has a similar law?

        I hope it all works out. Peace.

      • Real Estate Investor · Williamson County, TX · Member since 2011 · 1k+ posts · 961 votes
        6y

        @Daniel Adler sounds like you have figured out what should have been done (should have been communicated by gc as workers’ decision sometimes not the standard way, eg outlet) and how (level, symmetrical as possible, same as existing).

        Send a letter that you have paid in full the agreed amount, any “changes” gc wants additional money for were to address non-workmanlike results that were expected and ordinary, but that you are willing to pay $20 for the base trim at Home Depot prices (maybe add $30-50 trip charge for worker to go buy) as an offer in compromise or good faith. State your case like you are going before a judge so gc can step back and view the facts from the judge’s perspective. Maybe Include a check. State in letter Please find enclosed check for x amount and write on check final payment or such.

        Maybe say sorry it has been contentious, feel sure he can now see your perspective and hope no hard feelings in future...to imply you may use him again.

        If he cashes the check, he likely has legally agreed to the offer (Guess on my part as not a lawyer).

        If not, you have created a document for court that makes you look reasonable to judge...having tried to work it out.

        Hopefully the money will also placate the anger...v important as people can be vindictive if they feel they have been wronged. Just imo.

      • General Contractor · Palm Desert, CA · Member since 2016 · 193 posts · 79 votes
        6y

        In California, this wouldn't even go to court. It would be sent to an arbitrator and you both would have to sit in front of the arbitrator to settle it. Total waste of time and not worth it.

        If you really want to make it go away, tell him you are going to file a complaint against him with the Contractors State License Board. You can also tell him you are going to give a negative review on Houzz, Yelp and Google.

        I guarantee you will never here from him again.

        Good luck

      • Rental Property Investor · Portland OR · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
        6y

        Not sure if anyone else suggested this, but contact your local contractors board. They should have a mediation unit that can help. 

      • Real Estate Agent · Merritt Island, FL · Member since 2017 · 974 posts · 1k+ votes
        6y
        Originally posted by @Bill Kramer:

        @Daniel Adler

        You wouldn't be the first person to not pay a contractor. Dont sweat it, it can be a monster pain in the but for us contractors to get paid.

        No contract, no money. Call his bluff. What's he gonna do, lien a property you have no intention to sell? His next step would be to get a judgement, but again he is suing your company that hires him (not you). And when (if) he does win his judgement, he then has to take even more steps to garnish wages/seize assets/foreclose the lien/etc...

        In short, this guy is gonna have to take YEARS to actually force you to pay. So the real question is: do you have a conscience? Most people dont, and will gladly just not pay up for whatever reason.

        Imbedded in your response to Daniel is that what he feels is right is an act of not having a conscience. Based on his side of the story, is it not the contractor who might be operating in a less than honorable manner?

      • Contractor · Evansville, IN · Member since 2019 · 142 posts · 208 votes
        6y

        @Tchaka Owen

        What you FEEL is right, is what is actually right can be 2 totally different things.

        Generally, people who dont pay FEEL they have no need to because they have been wronged in some fashion. Even though they KNOW better.

        One common thing nonpaying clients do is scrutinize the work with a microscope. These soulless a holes have no moral compass, and are always a "victim" of a subpar contractor.

        I cant count how many employees/subs I have paid in full to just leave my jobsite and not return before the project is complete. I would rather take a short term loss than a long term one to my rep. I just lost about $7500 on my last remodel for that very reason. I could have simply fired them, and made them try to collect. But why deal with all that drama. I do let them know how much $ they are walking away from yearly just to let it sting a little more.

      • Real Estate Agent · Merritt Island, FL · Member since 2017 · 974 posts · 1k+ votes
        6y

        @Bill Kramer- notwithstanding, your comment deemed @Daniel Adler to be in the wrong. That's the problem.

        It's unfortunate that you've been screwed over and we all know that there are shady people in all arenas, however that does not put you in the position to question his conscience based on what he wrote. You made a judgment of him which from his post is off-base.  

      • Lorenzo WrightPro Member
        Rental Property Investor · Member since 2019 · 105 posts · 121 votes
        6y

        From a contracting perspective this guy is all over the place.

        I dont know what state you're in, but in Maryland this guy would be breaking all kinds of laws. He is treating your calling out his shoddy workmanship as a change order.

        Ask him to show you a signed change order with the charges and that you'll pay him. That being said, depending on which state you're in he could file a mechanic's lien on your house. $3,000 for the amount of work you described in those changes is highway robbery.

        From both contractor's and a REI perspectives I always, always, always have written contracts. It protects both of you.

      • Contractor · Evansville, IN · Member since 2019 · 142 posts · 208 votes
        6y

        @Tchaka Owen

        Everyone saying that they there was no contract in place are taking an incorrect stance.

        What is a contract?

        A written agreement where the scope and price are agreed upon. Contractor provided an estimate, which was agreed upon and work began. That's pretty friggin close to the same definition as using a contract.

        So I wouldn't use the fact that there was no fancy contract as a means to back out of paying. Again. There was a written scope, and agreement, and permission was given to proceed.

        Now, the contractor may not have been 100% crystal clear in his estimate what was gonna be done for that price, and that is his fault. But in reality, I as a contractor even dont go to extremes in my contracts to describe 1000% every minute detail of what's gonna happen.

        When the complaints started happening, is where things got sideways. The client by his own admission did not complain to the proper person. So the boss had no way of knowing about issues if his employee decided not to play western union and communicate them to him. That starts you down a bad road, as we can see by the post.

        Client didn't communicate to the correct person, then the contractor didn't communicate back to the client in advance whether those were upcharges/or simple mistakes at no extra cost.

        This breakdown in communication leads us to where we are. Who has to pay for it?

        Not all parties are innocent.

        Does the client pay? Well, obviously the contractor is trying to intimidate the client hoping he can use fear/ some sense of a guilty conscience to get paid. And that's why I said, if you dont have a conscience, or have a clear conscience and can sleep at night then dont pay or play those games. Make the contractor earn it. However, some people will develop a fear of the inevitable, or a guilty conscience and eventually pay up. Otherwise these tactics the contractor is using would never work, and he would never use them.

      • Real Estate Agent · Merritt Island, FL · Member since 2017 · 974 posts · 1k+ votes
        6y

        @Bill Kramer - there's nothing you can write to get out of the fact that you improperly made the assumption that @Daniel Adler would be acting without a conscience if he were not to pay the extra amount to the contractor. 

        You can write a thesis if you so choose, however you're not only wasting your time, you're making yourself look bad. He has a legitimate gripe that does not appear shady and you're boxing him in with a pre-judgement based on bad people you've encountered. If you can't give sound unbiased advice, consider staying on the sidelines.  

      • Contractor · Evansville, IN · Member since 2019 · 142 posts · 208 votes
        6y

        @Tchaka Owen

        Will do. Sometimes multiple points of views can help people see the larger picture and empathize with all sides.

        My bad for posting things from a contractor point of view who has worked with and been burned by dozens of investors/property managers.

        I'm not here to change everyone's mind, just point out different perspectives. If you cant see things from multiple angles, you're gonna be stuck wondering "why did that happen?" And "How can I prevent this next time?"

        That's why I came here. To learn the perspective of my clients, and be a better understanding contractor as well as one day become one of my clients. If I cant learn an investors perspective, I cant become a decent investor.

      • Mindy JensenPro Member
        BiggerPockets Money Podcast Host · Longmont, CO · Member since 2014 · 7k+ posts · 10k+ votes
        6y
        Originally posted by @Bill Kramer:

        @Tchaka Owen

        What you FEEL is right, is what is actually right can be 2 totally different things.

        Generally, people who dont pay FEEL they have no need to because they have been wronged in some fashion. Even though they KNOW better.

        You say "people who don't pay" but he DID pay the quoted amount - in full. Then, 3 months later, the contractor comes back to add more money on a completed job that has been paid in full. 

        To the OP, I would suggest for all future jobs, you get signed lien waivers before handing over the final check. From all contractors and subs who worked on the property. Write Final Payment or Payment in Full for XYZ job in the memo section of the check, too.

      • Chicago, IL · Member since 2018 · 14 posts · 8 votes
        6y

        OP here with an update.

        So after reviewing all of the above responses, I emailed my contractor (back in March) countering many of his points, but finally stating that I've been civil with him, and that if he really wanted to threaten legal action, he was free to do so. I had been civil with him thus far, haven't bashed him on social media or anything, and without a signed agreement I wasn't worried about an legal outcomes.

        Flash forward to today, and he looks like he's finally engaged with an attorney to try to collect - I've received an email from an attorney's office stating I need to pay within 7 days or they will file a lawsuit. Again, there is no written agreement and I never accepted or agreed to any of the additional work.

        Is it time to lawyer up? If I do, an incur costs, can I counter-sue him for the legal costs?

      Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.