Real Estate professional logbook example

Real Estate professional logbook example

Investor · Boston, MA · Member since 2014 · 232 posts · 165 votes

Hey BP - does anyone mind sharing an example of their real estate professional logbook? Would love to see an example of some real life qualifying activities and what you're including.

7Reply
2,446 views

Most Popular Reply

Sean O'KeefePro Member
CPA | Accepting new clients | 50 States · Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 870 votes
2y

@James E. @Clive Smith I have a sample log in format that follows the IRS Audit Techniques Guides (ATGs). Let me know if you'd like a copy. 

See this reply in the discussion

373 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Greensboro NC · Member since 2020 · 15 posts · 8 votes
    5y

    did you find any? i would also like to see one.

  • Michael PlaksPro Member
    Tax Accountant / Enrolled Agent · Houston, TX · Member since 2014 · 5k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    5y

    @James E.

    @Clive Smith

    I's a risky route. Just because some fellow investor includes it on her or his log, does not mean it flies - unless this investor was audited and won. Otherwise, you will likely be copying someone else's false expectations.

    I have reviewed hundreds of such self-constructed logs, and most of them will not hold water. These logs regularly end up in the Tax Court and are usually destroyed upon review. Here's one recent example: https://www.currentfederaltaxd...

    Do you want to imitate such logs? If not, then consider consulting a good tax pro.

  • Investor · Member since 2020 · 18 posts · 5 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Michael Plaks:

    @James E.

    @Clive Smith

    I's a risky route. Just because some fellow investor includes it on her or his log, does not mean it flies - unless this investor was audited and won. Otherwise, you will likely be copying someone else's false expectations.

    I have reviewed hundreds of such self-constructed logs, and most of them will not hold water. These logs regularly end up in the Tax Court and are usually destroyed upon review. Here's one recent example: https://www.currentfederaltaxd...

    Do you want to imitate such logs? If not, then consider consulting a good tax pro.

    Interesting case. It seems like the court was quite aggressive on some of those notes. Overseeing tradesmen while they work on your properties sounds like material participation to me. The claims of 1hr to collect rent, produce receipts, and deposit checks also seems like a reasonable claim if done physically and not electronically. Good to know how the court can scrutinize these claims though.


  • Sean O'KeefePro Member
    CPA | Accepting new clients | 50 States · Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 870 votes
    2y

    @James E. @Clive Smith I have a sample log in format that follows the IRS Audit Techniques Guides (ATGs). Let me know if you'd like a copy. 

    • Rental Property Investor · Redding, CA · Member since 2023 · 2 posts · 1 vote
      1y

      @Sean O'Keefe Thank you for sharing! If not too much trouble, could you please send a copy my way? Thanks!!

    • Investor · Richardson Texas · Member since 2022 · 14 posts · 15 votes
      1y

      @Sean O'Keefe may also get the copy ? Thank you.  

    • Member since 2022 · 2 posts · 2 votes
      1y
      Quote from @Sean O'Keefe:

      @James E. @Clive Smith I have a sample log in format that follows the IRS Audit Techniques Guides (ATGs). Let me know if you'd like a copy. 


       @Sean O'Keefe .. can you pls share me the sample log sheet when you get a chance. appreciate it.

    • Sean O'KeefePro Member
      CPA | Accepting new clients | 50 States · Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 870 votes
      1y
      Quote from @Sivakumar Anna:
      Quote from @Sean O'Keefe:

      @James E. @Clive Smith I have a sample log in format that follows the IRS Audit Techniques Guides (ATGs). Let me know if you'd like a copy. 


       @Sean O'Keefe .. can you pls share me the sample log sheet when you get a chance. appreciate it.

      Happy to send you a copy of the material participation activity tracker / REPS Log that follows the guidance suggested in IRS Audit Techniques Guide (ATG)
    • Member since 2024 · 1 post · 1 vote
      1y
      Quote from @Sean O'Keefe:
      Quote from @Sivakumar Anna:
      Quote from @Sean O'Keefe:

      @James E. @Clive Smith I have a sample log in format that follows the IRS Audit Techniques Guides (ATGs). Let me know if you'd like a copy. 


       @Sean O'Keefe .. can you pls share me the sample log sheet when you get a chance. appreciate it.

      Happy to send you a copy of the material participation activity tracker / REPS Log that follows the guidance suggested in IRS Audit Techniques Guide (ATG)

       Hi @Sean O'Keefe

      Can you please send me a copy as well.

    • Sean O'KeefePro Member
      CPA | Accepting new clients | 50 States · Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 870 votes
      1y
      Quote from @Arshpreet Singh Bhatti:
      Quote from @Sean O'Keefe:
      Quote from @Sivakumar Anna:
      Quote from @Sean O'Keefe:

      @James E. @Clive Smith I have a sample log in format that follows the IRS Audit Techniques Guides (ATGs). Let me know if you'd like a copy. 


       @Sean O'Keefe .. can you pls share me the sample log sheet when you get a chance. appreciate it.

      Happy to send you a copy of the material participation activity tracker / REPS Log that follows the guidance suggested in IRS Audit Techniques Guide (ATG)

       Hi @Sean O'Keefe

      Can you please send me a copy as well.

      Sure, I just sent you the sample material participation activity tracker / REPS Log that follows the guidance suggested in IRS Audit Techniques Guide (ATG)
    • Member since 2022 · 33 posts · 13 votes
      1y
      Quote from @Sean O'Keefe:

      @James E. @Clive Smith I have a sample log in format that follows the IRS Audit Techniques Guides (ATGs). Let me know if you'd like a copy. 


       Hi Sean, I know this post is old, but could you please send me this log, as well? Thanks!

    • Sean O'KeefePro Member
      CPA | Accepting new clients | 50 States · Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 870 votes
      1y
      Quote from @Kelly Beck:
      Quote from @Sean O'Keefe:

      @James E. @Clive Smith I have a sample log in format that follows the IRS Audit Techniques Guides (ATGs). Let me know if you'd like a copy. 


       Hi Sean, I know this post is old, but could you please send me this log, as well? Thanks!

      No worries, I just sent you sample material participation activity tracker / REPS Log that follows the guidance suggested in IRS Audit Techniques Guide (ATG)
    • Member since 2024 · 15 posts · 9 votes
      1y
      Quote from @Sean O'Keefe:

      @James E. @Clive Smith I have a sample log in format that follows the IRS Audit Techniques Guides (ATGs). Let me know if you'd like a copy. 

       Hi @Sean O'Keefe could you please DM me a copy of the sample log. Thank you so much. 

    • Sean O'KeefePro Member
      CPA | Accepting new clients | 50 States · Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 870 votes
      1y
      Quote from @Reeti Peshawaria:
      Quote from @Sean O'Keefe:

      @James E. @Clive Smith I have a sample log in format that follows the IRS Audit Techniques Guides (ATGs). Let me know if you'd like a copy. 

       Hi @Sean O'Keefe could you please DM me a copy of the sample log. Thank you so much. 

      You got it, I just sent you sample material participation activity tracker / REPS Log
    • Member since 2025 · 1 post · 1 vote
      1y
      Quote from @Sean O'Keefe:

      @James E. @Clive Smith I have a sample log in format that follows the IRS Audit Techniques Guides (ATGs). Let me know if you'd like a copy. 

      Would you be able to send me a copy or the log too ;)  please and thank you. 
    • Sean O'KeefePro Member
      CPA | Accepting new clients | 50 States · Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 870 votes
      1y
      Quote from @Manjusha Sheobaran:
      Quote from @Sean O'Keefe:

      @James E. @Clive Smith I have a sample log in format that follows the IRS Audit Techniques Guides (ATGs). Let me know if you'd like a copy. 

      Would you be able to send me a copy or the log too ;)  please and thank you. 
      No worries, I just sent you sample material participation activity tracker / REPS Log that follows the guidance suggested in IRS Audit Techniques Guide (ATG)
    • Member since 2025 · 1 post · 1 vote
      1y
      Quote from @Sean O'Keefe:

      @James E. @Clive Smith I have a sample log in format that follows the IRS Audit Techniques Guides (ATGs). Let me know if you'd like a copy. 

      @Sean O'Keefe - I know this is an old thread, but any chance I could get a copy of the sample log, as well? Thanks so much!

    • Sean O'KeefePro Member
      CPA | Accepting new clients | 50 States · Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 870 votes
      1y
      Quote from @Kristne Dreschler:
      Quote from @Sean O'Keefe:

      @James E. @Clive Smith I have a sample log in format that follows the IRS Audit Techniques Guides (ATGs). Let me know if you'd like a copy. 

      @Sean O'Keefe - I know this is an old thread, but any chance I could get a copy of the sample log, as well? Thanks so much!

      Sure, will send 👍
    • Member since 2025 · 1 post · 1 vote
      1y
      Quote from @Sean O'Keefe:

      @James E. @Clive Smith I have a sample log in format that follows the IRS Audit Techniques Guides (ATGs). Let me know if you'd like a copy. 


      Could you please send me a copy! 

    • Sean O'KeefePro Member
      CPA | Accepting new clients | 50 States · Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 870 votes
      1y
      Quote from @Sivakumar Anna:
      Quote from @Sean O'Keefe:

      @James E. @Clive Smith I have a sample log in format that follows the IRS Audit Techniques Guides (ATGs). Let me know if you'd like a copy. 


       @Sean O'Keefe .. can you pls share me the sample log sheet when you get a chance. appreciate it.

      You got it!
    • Member since 2026 · 2 posts · 1 vote
      8mo
      Quote from @Sean O'Keefe:

      @James E. @Clive Smith I have a sample log in format that follows the IRS Audit Techniques Guides (ATGs). Let me know if you'd like a copy. 

       @Sean O'Keefe I would appreciate a copy. Thank you!

    • Sean O'KeefePro Member
      CPA | Accepting new clients | 50 States · Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 870 votes
      8mo
      Quote from @Becky Sixtos:
      Quote from @Sean O'Keefe:

      @James E. @Clive Smith I have a sample log in format that follows the IRS Audit Techniques Guides (ATGs). Let me know if you'd like a copy. 

       @Sean O'Keefe I would appreciate a copy. Thank you!

      Sure, you got it! I jwill send you sample material participation activity tracker / REPS Log that follows the guidance suggested in IRS Audit Techniques Guide (ATG)
    • Sean O'KeefePro Member
      CPA | Accepting new clients | 50 States · Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 870 votes
      7mo
      Quote from @Becky Sixtos:
      Quote from @Sean O'Keefe:

      @James E. @Clive Smith I have a sample log in format that follows the IRS Audit Techniques Guides (ATGs). Let me know if you'd like a copy. 

       @Sean O'Keefe I would appreciate a copy. Thank you!

      Sure, you got it! I will send you the sample material, participation activity tracker / REPS Log that follows the guidance suggested in the IRS Audit Techniques Guide (ATG)
    • Sean O'KeefePro Member
      CPA | Accepting new clients | 50 States · Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 870 votes
      7mo
      Quote from @Becky Sixtos:
      Quote from @Sean O'Keefe:

      @James E. @Clive Smith I have a sample log in format that follows the IRS Audit Techniques Guides (ATGs). Let me know if you'd like a copy. 

       @Sean O'Keefe I would appreciate a copy. Thank you!

      Sure, you got it! I will send you the sample material, participation activity tracker / REPS Log that follows the guidance suggested in the IRS Audit Techniques Guide (ATG)
  • Member since 2023 · 103 posts · 19 votes
    2y

    @Sean O'Keefe can I get a copy of the real estate professional logbook?

  • Rental Property Investor · Member since 2023 · 26 posts · 15 votes
    2y

    @Sean O'Keefe can I also get a copy? 

  • Dennis RochaPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Big Island Hawaii · Member since 2020 · 9 posts · 4 votes
    2y

    @Sean O'Keefe can I get a copy of the real estate professional logbook?

  • Sean O'KeefePro Member
    CPA | Accepting new clients | 50 States · Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 870 votes
    2y

    Sure just sent it to you Dennis Rocha

  • Member since 2023 · 15 posts · 6 votes
    2y

    I would love to have a copy of that logbook too please @Sean O'Keefe.   Thanks in advance!!

  • Member since 2024 · 1 post · 1 vote
    2y

    Could I also get a copy of this? Thank you.

  • Member since 2021 · 1 post · 1 vote
    2y

    Can I also get a copy of the logbook please @Sean O'Keefe. Appreciate your time.



  • Sean O'KeefePro Member
    CPA | Accepting new clients | 50 States · Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 870 votes
    2y

    @Sarah Workman sure, just sent it to you. 

  • Sean O'KeefePro Member
    CPA | Accepting new clients | 50 States · Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 870 votes
    2y

    @Koshy Mathai no worries - sent!

  • Member since 2024 · 1 post · 1 vote
    2y

    @Sean O'Keefe Can I also get a copy of the logbook? Thank you!

  • Sean O'KeefePro Member
    CPA | Accepting new clients | 50 States · Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 870 votes
    2y

    Sure, @Carolyn Li sent 

  • Rental Property Investor · MO · Member since 2019 · 4 posts · 3 votes
    2y

    @Sean O'Keefe I would like a copy as well please. Thank you!

  • Sean O'KeefePro Member
    CPA | Accepting new clients | 50 States · Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 870 votes
    2y

    Russ Mooneyhan no worries, just sent. 

  • Investor · Tucson · Member since 2018 · 18 posts · 5 votes
    2y

    @Sean O'Keefe, here's another request for a copy of the log please and thanks in advance. 

  • Sean O'KeefePro Member
    CPA | Accepting new clients | 50 States · Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 870 votes
    2y

    Hugo McBride - sure, sent. 

  • Investor · Member since 2020 · 6 posts · 2 votes
    2y

    @Sean O'Keefe can i get a copy of the real estate professional logbook? Thanks in advance! 

  • Member since 2022 · 1 post · 0 votes
    2y

    @Sean O'Keefe May I please get a copy of the real estate professional logbook? Thanks in advance!

  • Sean O'KeefePro Member
    CPA | Accepting new clients | 50 States · Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 870 votes
    2y

    @Hayan Kee no worries, sent!

  • Sean O'KeefePro Member
    CPA | Accepting new clients | 50 States · Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 870 votes
    2y

    @Chanell Harvey sure, just sent.

  • Developer · Dallas, TX · Member since 2018 · 5 posts · 3 votes
    2y

    @Sean O'Keefe Could I get a copy of the logbook please? Thank you!

  • Sean O'KeefePro Member
    CPA | Accepting new clients | 50 States · Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 870 votes
    2y

    @Harikishore Kandula no worries, sent

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.