Rental Property Investor · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2020 · 5 posts · 3 votes
Hey everyone!
I ran into a fork in the road. I am 21 and have been working sales for 1 year under a W2 tax form. I also go to college full time. I drive around the city daily for work and am given the option to opt for 1099 tax form. With this I know I can claim my Miles along with other tax benefits. The downfall is that I wanted to purchase my first property once I graduated in June 2021 next year, and lending companies require 2 years of proof of income tax returns.
I can keep W2 tax form and lose a lot during the year. Or I can try to take advantage of 1099 write offs but wait an extra 6-7 months to get started on my real estate journey.
I am also aware with write offs it takes away from your income. I would like to know the right balance or the right taxable income amount I should be aiming for.
Sorry for the long question but I’ve put a lot of thought into this and am still needing further advice. Hopefully this can help others in the same position. Thank you!
Investor · San Francisco, CA · Member since 2015 · 302 posts · 206 votes
6y
Call some reputable mortgage brokers in your area and ask them this exact question. They will know what the lenders are looking for, it's their job. It's a good idea to start a relationship with a broker now anyway. You make the call now, they give you the advice, and then when you call back in a few months having taken their advice they will take you that much more serious.