Hard money lender won't roll over a bridge loan

Hard money lender won't roll over a bridge loan

Flipper/Rehabber · Dayton Ohio · Member since 2019 · 114 posts · 71 votes

I'm looking for recommendations, What would you do? I thought this person was of quality and a friend in the REI sense... I have always referred him people both local and out of state. But with my current dealings with him I have been crushed at his actions and have no clue what to do...

May 2020 purchased a Duplex on a hard money loan 3 points 12% rate, I had 5 deals done before and a 750 credit score. 

I finished the rehab in November, Asked the lender to do the bridge roll over into a 30 year. He talked me into looking into having a bank do it for a lower rate. I searched for a lender but since the house is in an LLC name no-one would do it. I asked a lender I have worked with in the past to do it for me and they ordered the appraisal and it came back hirer then I expected at 120k Great news! But with the new credit pull my score was lower at 680 and since COVID they would only do 60% LTV with the 680 score. My score decrease was a result of using my personal credit cards to do rehabs with and ran my cards up, lowing my score. I asked the hard money lender currently on the loan and he said he could do 70% at that score. This was in December. From December to today the same hard money lender has drug his feet collecting his interest only payments and dangling me along to keep his 12% interest income. Every week I would call or message him with comments like, "I'll have it done Friday, I got swamped and trying to catch up, I'll have it done over the weekend..." I since went with another lender and waiting on Title now and should be done in a week, but because of the current hard money lenders actions I will have paid 3 months of additional payments because of his unethical actions. PS I do have my

What recourses do I have for this lenders Unethical practices?  

0Reply
18 views

1 Reply

Jump to latestLatest
  • Tom DegroodtPro Member
    Evans, GA · Member since 2016 · 121 posts · 65 votes
    5y

    We had a similar deal, the bank would not do a long term mortgage to the business name.  We ended up having to move the asset into our personal name and got the loan approved.  We would have been able to stay with a portfolio type loan with the asset under our name.  Another point or two in interest - 5 year balloon with a 20 year amortization.  

    We also at one point had used our CC's for a rehab that went severely over budget. We were able to find private money to come in and do a quick close on 45% LTV for the property. We took his money and paid off the CC's. 3 months later our credit score was 120 points higher, so we could finance out the property. We paid the private money back and got a lot of our money back out also.

    Sometimes the financing stuff really puts the brakes on moving as fast as we would like.  Both of those experiences have made us more cautious.  We also make sure we have at least a dual exit strategy, sometime 3.  

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.