Follow up question. Is the above true if he buys a new residence immediately, within a year, within 2 years? I believe it is since the 2 of 5 rule needs to be met regardless.
As a note, I agree on not giving advice to "the seller." However, I'm not a party to this at all. This is for my nephew.
Follow up question. Is the above true if he buys a new residence immediately, within a year, within 2 years? I believe it is since the 2 of 5 rule needs to be met regardless.
As a note, I agree on not giving advice to "the seller." However, I'm not a party to this at all. This is for my nephew.
Does not matter what he does after the sale. Makes no difference whatsoever. His only way to avoid the tax is to roll his capital gains into an opportunity zone fund. But how much gain are we taking about in under 1 year?
Also, does he expect the prices to drop in the near future? His long-term strategy is suspect. Houses are not dogecoins to invest into for a few months and drop.