Assistance with evaluating options for $$ on a multi-family deal

Assistance with evaluating options for $$ on a multi-family deal

Member since 2021 · 10 posts · 11 votes

We've found a great off-market, small multi-family investment opportunity in our desired area (north whatcom county, WA).  Here's the challenge! The owner (nearing his 80's) doesn't want all the cash now (I know - THIS isn't the problem). He wants to carry the paper on $400k. Purchase price is $800k. We have $150k cash - but not what we need and I'm not sure I want to spend all our cash.

So, trying to evaluate all our options, here is what I think our options are:

1) Look into a hard money lender that would be willing to have a lien on the property for the owner's contract. Is this a thing? If so, I'm worried about if I could find a hard money lender that would be interested in such a small investment and how it would affect cash flow because some I've talked to charge 9% interest. Also, do any commercial banks allow loans with partial owners contracts/liens?

2) I am currently self-employed and I could move retirement funds to a self-directed IRA, but not sure this is possible unless the seller is willing to write a non-recourse loan doc with us. Is this a thing - seller non-recourse loan?

3) Find a partner to do the deal with. Selfishly, I don't like this idea because finding and getting this deal was a lot of work and it feels like giving too much away to bring a partner in now. Although some of you may be thinking blah, blah - if you had your own capital, this wouldn't be an issue!

4) My favorite idea (but my husband would probably divorce me): Borrow from our primary residence (which we currently don't have a mortgage on and is valued around $450k. Again, this is the obvious choice to me - but marriage and compromise and all that good stuff!

5) Other options - what am I missing?


Thanks in advance for any and all feedback!

Stacey

0Reply
27 views

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5y

    @Stacey Carroll ask him if he is willing to be in the second position. Put your 20% down and finance 240k and the seller carryback the rest. The other option might be for him to take out a first and wrap the whole thing.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Ft. Worth, TX · Member since 2019 · 19 posts · 10 votes
    5y

    Nothing wrong with a HELOC for your down payment if you are careful. Just don't be over-leveraged. Know exactly what the income will be, less taxes, insurance, vacancies, and repairs. Is it 100% occupied? What year was the property built? How old is the plumbing? Shared utilities or metered separately? Talk to some lenders and give the numbers to your husband so both of you know exactly what you are getting into. Make sure it will cash flow and cover the HELOC payment and the owner finance payment. Owner-finance is a great way to buy properties; it can save you lots of money on loan fees. A title company/real estate lawyer should be able to draw up the papers for the transaction. Good luck.

  • So MD · Member since 2019 · 294 posts · 191 votes
    5y

    #4 Talk hubby into it if the future cash flow numbers are solid and there are no deferred maintenance surprises. 

  • Member since 2021 · 10 posts · 11 votes
    5y

    @Tim Herman - thanks, will explore these options.  one of the seller's motivations is to avoid a big captial gains hit - so I'll have to look into how that fits into the equation.

    @Rico Quatro - thanks so much for your response.  Working on putting all the numbers together to show my husband.  I don't see it as risky or over-leveraged, but he does.  So, we'll have to work through those differences.  I'm going to try showing him all the detailed numbers!!

    @Glenna Wood - Thank you!  Definitely getting to practice my negotiation skills!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.